GUN Can someone help me out?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, Oct 23, 2007.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I need to find a clear and concise US Code that states it is, in fact, legal for a person under 21 to possess a handgun.

I believe the code law is: 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), but I can't find a government site that has that law in a concise form...:dunno: I found a few school law sites and stuff, but I'd prefer a big USA logo at the top of the page for good proof.

I came across a dickhead at a gun shop today and I'd like to show him this. :fawk:

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Should also be in your state laws.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Think I found it....

Someone who likes to read US Code want to verify this for me or add anything that helps?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html
    Then do a Find command for "(x)" and it should take you right to the specific code.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

the thing I was trying to look for in connection with that is that many section of that code state

Code:
     F(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term "juvenile" means a
        person who is less than 18 years of age.
          (6)(A) In a prosecution of a violation of this s

but I did not see that near the subsection you are referring to, it might be buried higher up though.

Remember though just because it is legal at the federal level does not mean that the states cannot have a different set of laws so check local as well.

5. striker754

striker754 Chillin

its 922(x) which sets the lower limit for handgun ownership at 18. States may be a higher age, but cannot be lower.

6. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

I'm sure he'll feel totally owned. :rolleyes:

7. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Never hurts to inform someone they're wrong...

8. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Could I buy a handgun intending to give it away/sell it to someone under 21 (granted, they meet all the requirements of owning a gun and the state says it's ok)?

9. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

True, but you don't think that going in with a printed copy of the law just to prove a point is a little over zealous and may just make you look like a jerk?

I wouldn't.

10. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wasn't planning on going in there... was thinking of mailing/emailing it him. :mamoru:

Wasn't planning on it, but I'm just curious.

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I think there's a checkbox on the form you fill out when buying a gun that asks if you are planning to give it away/sell it to someone else. If you check yes you will be denied. IIRC you can buy a gun for an immediate family member only.

12. MTech

MTech New Member

Only immediate family member as you don't have to do any paperwork.. Your dad can buy a pistol and you are legally allowed to carry/own it if he gives it to you but you can't get your concealed permit till you're 21+.

13. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

that's how I got my first pistola when i was 16 :cool: except it was my mom, not my dad. shooter moms ftw.

14. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

In Oklahoma, if you buy a gun for someone who can't buy one themselves, it's an automatic 10years....at least that's what the poster over the urinal says. lol

15. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

IIRC your family member cannot intentionally buy the guy for you, that's a straw purchase. But they can buy the gun for themselves and on the ride home decide they want you to have it :dunno:

16. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

You can buy a firearm as a gift for someone. However, if they give you money to go buy the firearm, and you buy it in their place, that is a straw purchase. Do not accept money from the person to whom you are giving the firearm. If you do, then at least do it far enough down the road that it looks like they PURCHASED it from you, after you owned the firearm for some amount of time. Don't be stupid.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

My dad decided to give me his Sig after like 4-5 months :dunno: He didn't like it as much as his Beretta 96

18. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I thought that was a straw purchase still, I thought that you had to give them a 'gift certificate' or some type of store credit for a gift, not the actual firearm?

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

the whole straw purchase vs. gift thing is pretty hazy IMHO. I always kinda figured that as long as you KNOW that the person could legally get a firearm (for instance, they have already bought guns), then I figure it is kosher.

and like foot said, if money is passed to buy a gun, its probably a straw purchase.

20. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

That might be referring to things like felons and the like, plus I am pretty sure at least for younger ages you have to be supervised with the firearm.

I've heard a story from a gun shop owner about a grandfather coming in to buy his grandson a shotgun, well over $1k shotgun. The kicker was the hadn't even been born, gramps brought the ultrasound with him to the gun store and had no problem buying the gun.