Can someone help me out with setting up a 3-monitor system?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

Ive got a 21 inch, and two 19s. I was thinking I could run the 21 in the middle with a 19 on either side, 21 running off of a agp card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card) and the 19s running off a PCI card with dual outputs for the monitors.

possible? idk.... thats why im asking.

and if so, what kind of pci card should i run for the two 19s? i found one the other day for like 50-60 bucks. not looking for anything real special since ill have the badass card on the 21 for gaming, so, whatever is good for some regular desktop applications.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

sounds pretty possible to me, it should work, i was planning on doing almost the same thing, AGP card for the main monitor, and a pci for another monitor and the tv.

3. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

It will work... I tried that 5 years ago with like windows 98, Matrox G400 and a PCI ATi All in wonder card...

There are few things that you will need to look into. Not all pci videocard or agp ones are designed to work with other videocards. There are some standards they must comform... But chances are that if you are getting anything remotely recent... You will be fine...

In your bios, make sure that you set AGP for your primary monitors. Install the pci card and drivers for it. Then go to display in control panet. You should see the third monitor... So, have fun and enjoy.

p.s. I had dual 19" and a 15". The 19s were flat, and 15s were like fish eye old school stuff and never bothered to used it. Then I just said forget about it and been pretty happy with dual 19s ever since... Til my new dual 20" LCD came along of course...

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

it "should" work, but i ran into driver compatibility probs when using cards of diferent brands. i already had an AGP GeForce FX 5900 card for my primary and bought one of the Matrox Parhelias with dual DVI support and got no love. Tried switching priority in the bios and all that and could only use one or the other unless the GeForce was 640 x 480 or something weird like that. I finally gave up on the Dual DVI card and sent it back and got two PCI GeForce FX 5200 cards (one for each side monitor). Once I had all three running off cards of the same brand that use the same driver, it worked great.

BTW, i have a similar setup, only a size down. :) (19" CRT in the middle for gaming, flanked by two 17" LCD's for "other stuff").

5. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

sounds pretty cool..... i thought id get laughed at for putting a 21 in the middle and a 19 on either side.... kinda sounds rediculous and maybe a little over-the-top, but i will be using it for programming and graphics design, and of course game the shit out of it.

6. Defiant

Defiant Active Member

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I had a simular question. Assuming compatability isn't a concern between the cards and I have 3 LCD's that I want streamed together. Would it be possible in windows xp pro to make the far left monitor your primary monitor and the other two secondary's so that I could drag an application from the first monitor, over to the second one, and then to the 3rd. Or will two of them have to be mirrored?

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

As long as you have three separate GPUs (a dual-headed card and a second card, or three cards, or a triple-headed card), you can set them up however you want them. So, yes, you could have the far left as primary and the other two as extra, or, more logically, the middle one as primary with the other two flanking it.

8. 01000101

01000101 New Member

great multi monitor management program: ultramon. it takes the built-in windows one out in the alley and beats the shit out of it.

9. sirmark

sirmark HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ultramon is the only way to go that program rocks. as for the three monitors goes i just got my set up today after 10 hours of fiddling. It was a pain for me but my motherboard has knowns issues when running multiple video cards. I got a radeon 9800pro and a radeon 9200se definately dont switch brands good luck message me if you need n e help