Can someone help me on tire selection please I am totally confused

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Paulie Walnuts, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    OEM is 225/50 17
    People are telling me that on this rim which is 17x7 that you can easily fit a 235 / 50 tire on it but you CANNOT fit a 235/45 on it.
    Why is that the 45 is just the sidewall height isnt it?
    Thanks

2. Elex

Elex Guest

if you can fit a 235 tire on the rim then thats all that matters the profile isnt going to stop it from fitting on the rim.

3. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

it is possible that it is not recommend due to changes in the handling characteristics of the car, or more likely changes to the odometer and speedometer. can't tell you the proper sizes for 17x7 right now, book is at work, sorry. you could probably do it with little to no real danger, but i went by what the book suggested when i upgraded tires.

4. Finest

Finest OG #93

The middle number is the sidewall RATIO. (Sidewall height to tire width.)

So with a few quick estimations, running a 235/45 tire will mean that the tire width is a bit skinnier, so it might not fit on a 7" wide rim.

Hope that helps.

5. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

the ratio is expressed as a percentage of the section width of the tire, for instance a 235 tires is 235 mm wide and with an aspect ratio of 45 it is 105.75 mm tall. likewise, a 235/50 tire is 117.5 mm tall and 235 mm wide.

6. dennisk

dennisk Guest

And since your not following the traditional formula of up/down, (225/50) to (235/45), cause as people said it might be too skinny, it'll throw off your speedo... Keep that in mind..