GUN Can someone explain to me the difference between DAO and DAK?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Slick26, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I understand DAO means Double-Action Only, and mostly understand the workings of it. But lately I've caught the Sig bug and I've been browsing their handguns. Now I see all these DAK's popping up everywhere. WTF.
    And of course I've looked around on their website, and even in some handgun magazines, for an explanation of what it stands for and how it works... but I'm not finding much. Can someone more educated in this matter than myself explain to me what DAK stands for and how it works? Thanks. :bigthumb:

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Near as I can tell DAK works like DAO but allows for multiple strikes on a round by just pulling the trigger again unlike with a glock or other DAO pistols which require you to rack the slide again in order to reset the trigger.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

With DAO you are moving the hammer from the completely at rest position, to its rear most position, and then releasing it when you pull the trigger. With DAK the firing mechanism is "half cocked" by the slide so you don't need as much effort on the trigger to pull the hammer back before firing.

If you have DAK and try for a second strike, the second strike will be a heavier DAO weight trigger pull, not the light DAK trigger pull.

4. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Thanks! I see now.
    Now what does the K stand for? Not that its a big deal, I'm just curious.
    I like to get as much info for my grey matter to absorb as possible.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I believe its the last name of the guy who created the system but I can't tell you what that name is.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Kellerman