GUN Can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages of each type of ammo?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Straight_Six, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Straight_Six

Straight_Six Guest

I'm becoming interested in pistols, but I don't know much at all yet about them.

Can you very briefly explain the pros/cons to the different types of ammo? In particular, i'd like to know the differences between 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

2. Mr. Slappy

Mr. Slappy Guest

There is also 10mm... the best handgun round.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

9mm = small and fast, usually the gun holds more rounds
    .45 = big and slow, usually holds less rounds than a 9mm
    .40 = balance of the two, smaller and faster than the .45 but bigger and slower than the 9mm, also splits the difference on number of rounds held

Because of this, the .40 currently enjoys a bit of popularity but each caliber has a huge base of fans. The 9mm ammo is the cheapest and the 9mm also recoils the least, to it is my ideal choice for someone as yourself who is just getting into semi-auto pistols. With today's good choices for defensive loads, all are considered well powered calibers and your preference and ability to shoot a given caliber should be the determining factor.

4. Straight_Six

Straight_Six Guest

Would the .45 ACP be considered the most lethal ammunition of the three? in the hands of an experienced shooter

5. tainted beef

tainted beef I got Grape Nuts

I'm new to handguns also and just bought a .380, double action. It's a BERSA, two tone nickel and black. Very good feel in the hand, 6 rounds (hell, if you can't hit them with 6 rounds you'd be better off with a baseball bat....) I've heard good things about it, haven't been to the range yet but I'm going the first Sat. of February and I'll give an update.

I've shot a 9mm before and really liked the feel, but after I get used to this .380 I'll pass it to the wifey and prolly get a .40

She hates guns because she's never been around them, I'll get her educated and it will make me feel better since she works in downtown Atl.

6. tainted beef

Look, not to be mean or whatever, but if all you want to do is blindly protect yourself, get a shotgun :rofl:

J/K, any damn ammo is lethal mang, if I out a .22 derringer*sp in your ear at the local bar you 'd definitly realize there amy be a problem.

If you want "kick" and end result explosions after you shoot, get a damn .45 or even a 44 revolver:eek3:

i still think for a starte a 9 mm or .380 is a good evenly priced option:bigthumb:

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Shot placement >*

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a 45 has better stopping power. Go talk to cops that have had to use their weapons, and you'll prolly hear some messed up storys where a 9mm didn't do the trick until AFTER several shots. But when you get hit by a 45, you get knocked down... That's what you need for protection.

9. soccaian

soccaian New Member

out of police reports, the 45 does hold the best record for suspect takedowns... but the cost and heavy recoil is prohibitive to novice shooters..

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Debatable, that title actually goes to the .357 Mag, followed closely by, surprise, the .40, .45, and yes, 9mm. Nothing handheld will reliably cause a person to drop by virtue of the missile's energy. Your shot has to disrupt the nervous, circulatory, or respiratory system to put someone out of the fight.

i would argue that most of the people who do actually carry .45's tend to be the sort of people that dedicate themselves to becoming more proficient and accurate with their weapons.

11. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

No shot is going to knock you down from the sheer force of it; go hang a 200lb bag of meat in a tree, shoot it, and see how much it moves.

12. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:hsugh:

13. Poonony

Poonony New Member

Shot placement is key, but I like the balence of more rounds @ the cost of "knockdown" power. .40 or 10mm are your best bets.

14. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I can tell you from experience, it's not the caliber, it's the shooter, the target, the aim, the weather (yep, consider clothing as well) and dozens of other variables.

I have seen 9mm's do one shot stops and I have seen a guy take multiple .45's in the chest and keep advancing. I used to believe in the bigger=better theory but after experiencing it in action, I realized that it's hogwash.

Hit the target and then hit the target again, and if they keep coming, hit them a few times more cause no matter what round you use, you don't know what the result will be.

BTW, I carry .380, 9mm, .40, .45 and no worry that it's the "wrong" or "insufficient" caliber to do the job.

15. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I have a .40 and a .45lc

16. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Personally I don't find the recoil of the .45ACP that bad. I dislike the low capacity.
    I would recommend the 9mm for the extra shots.
    .380 is too wimpy for me, I traded my PPK for a Kel-Tec 9mm.

17. Y2kAccord

.45acp is a low pressure round that has very little recoil...

18. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

My cats breath smells like catfood.

19. Y2kAccord

my dogs breath smells like dog food :noes:

20. tainted beef

My dogs breath smells like cat :noes:

21. Y2kAccord

Ruhhh Rowwww :noes: :noes: :noes:

22. Straight_Six

Straight_Six Guest

thanks for the info :)

23. How did you witness this? Did you take out an experiment?

Back to the topic
    In experienced hands ANY guns will be lethal!

24. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

On duty during a felony stop. I was the backup unit. The deputy emptied his 1911 into the guy as he advanced with a knife after he got out and charged. The perp made it from his car door to the driver's side of the county unit while the deputy was reloading. His partner dropped him with two more shots.

Even in experienced hands, things don't always go the way the lab tests say they will.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005