WEB can someone explain mysql? v.building a site for somebody

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Justin Niggalake, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Justin Niggalake

Justin Niggalake New Member

a friend of mine is starting an online business selling cars. he's getting me to build the website for him, but i've never had experience building a site like this. his inventory is going to include about 1000 cars at various locations, so a search feature is needed, and i'm sure some sort of database system as well.

i asked someone how could i achieve this, and he mentioned mysql, but didn't have much knowledge on it. so then i went to the mysql website and i'm not too for sure what they were offering. it just said that the packages started off around $500

now on my personal domains thru dreamhost, i see that they offer some sort of mysql, but without fully understanding it, i'm not sure how this is going to solve my problem.

i've tried to do research on it, but it's like reading greek. can someone please point me in the right direction, or give me some tips on how i can build this site and get this started?

just for the record, i'm pretty much a graphic designer with html knowledge. so this project is a huge challenge for me.

tia

2. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

mysql if free open source software.
    It is a database management software component that uses the SQL. (Structured Query Language, pronounced es-q-el, not sequel)

Your friend's site, where is it being hosted and on what OS platform?

3. Justin Niggalake

i've always just used dreamhost to host all the other sites i've made. but they are nowhere of this caliber, so i don't if thats going to be a good option for him. i'm basically in control of it all, and he's just financing it.

any suggestions?

4. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

you're way outta your league with this one ...

5. Justin Niggalake

great.

6. Justin Niggalake

i really don't wanna give up on this :wtc:

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

There may be some hope assuming you are able to install Joomla and plugins and design a template...

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3425440&highlight=dealership

Look at that guy's first post. He mentions something called EZ autos I think it was, a plugin that turns your Joomla content management system (free software) into a dealership website. Not sure if that will be exactly what you are looking for or not, but maybe? Or maybe just a Drupal install with articles you can search through? I think more details would be needed to know exactly what you need. But you might need something totally custom made in which case you really need to know what you are doing.

Do NOT host this on DreamHost, nothing that is of importance should be hosted there. Check out www.webhostingtalk.com and do not shop by price, shop by quality and reputation.

8. Justin Niggalake

sweet! thx for the help :)

9. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

Be prepared though; Joomla is somewhat of a bitch to learn

Find books and tutorials, and grab some free templates to see how they are made-up :)

10. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

I'd highly recommend using something like Joomla or Drupal to do this, if you want even a fighting chance. I've seen some car sites already that use Joomla, so might be a good place to start as already mentioned above.

11. Justin Niggalake

i'm pretty persistent. i taught myself all the *htmls, php, java, etc etc, not to mention an array of other scripts & programs. hopefully i can get the hang of this as well.

thanks for everything.
    :bigthumb:

12. elekt

elekt New Member

don't give up. pick up a book on php and mysql and if you are even 1/2 literate in any coding language and html you should be able to do this in no time.

But you are in over your head as accepting a project that youve never done before is kind of ridic.

Best luck tho, its not impossible by any means. I made my first php mysql database driven site in about 6 hours, but I have coding experience and SQL query language experience.

13. Justin Niggalake

from what i'm seeing, joomla is sort of like a wordpress on steroids?

14. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

If Joomla was a roided up person, Wordpress would be a 2mth old baby's toe.

There's lots of tutorials around though.. and the forums on joomla.org are ok. They'll answer most your questions.

15. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

Pretty much. How do you learn PHP without MySQL? Eh, that's how I learned it anyways. I only said that in my previous post because MySQL can be pretty involved, especially when you're doing something as complex as a dealership website.

16. it can be done assuming you have plenty of time to do lots and lots and lots of research. what is your deadline? i would highly consider hiring someone to do the databasing for you and just add that to the bill :dunno:

17. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

Word.

18. GMtime

GMtime New Member

If you are dedicated to it, you can pickup PHP / MYSQL pretty quickly. Learn the basics of dynamic pages with PHP, then move on to doing simple MySQL queries. While it seems like you may be in over your head at the moment, it's good motivation for you to learn more!

19. Justin Niggalake

i don't really have a deadline. it's just a side project for my friend. i guess sometime near the beginning of next year is when he wants to launch, so i have some time.

thanks for all the input guys. it really is appreciated.
    now off to study