Can someone explain EVDO vs WiFi????

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wait*what, Apr 3, 2008.

1. wait*what

wait*what OT Supporter

i tried googling but have found a real source of comparing.
    Which one is faster?
    Better connection?
    etc. etc. etc.

Reason why I ask is because I am going to get the Blackberry Curve with either Verizon (EVDO) or Tmobile (WiFi).

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wifi doesn't neccessarily get you to the internet... only to a network. That network may have internet access.

Wifi is theoretically faster... But (like all network technologies) actual speeds will depend on what they have for an internet connection, as well as congestion from other users sharing it.

WiFi has a very limited range and rollout. You must be within a few hundred feet of a "hotspot" to use it. And not all hotspots are free.

EVDO will work anywhere the carrier has EVDO coverage -- which is most major metros, and Verizon/Sprint are rolling it out to smaller markets, as well.

Also consider that EVDO gets you CDMA, which will enjoy much better call quality than GSM. Furthermore, Tmobile's coverage outside of select major metros really really sucks.

Unless you *KNOW* that you'll always be in a coffee shop with free wifi..... then EVDO is by-far the best option. TMobile only got wifi in their blackberry because they have jack-shit for a 3G network. I mean nothing. Sprint and Verizon have excellent 3G networks and can offer you a better experience coast-to-coast than Tmobile can in just limited hotspots.

When you factor in cost, I think you should look at Sprint. They will have the Curve in a few weeks, and their EVDO coverage is better than Verizons in most markets. Their pricing is also MUCH better. I'm saving approximately $40 with Sprint over Verizon and I have more features (such as N&W starting at 7pm). I have a BB Pearl w/EVDO, btw.

www.sprint.com/sero.

3. wait*what

wait*what OT Supporter

fucking awesome 1st reply... thanks.
    Ever since the merger of Nextel/Sprint...I've been iffy about Sprint. I used to have a Nextel and the service went to shit from the merging. But the pricing is too attractive from sprint. :sad2: decisions, decisions :hs:

4. strubbe

strubbe New Member

I second the thumbs up for Sprint... Great service, great customer care, great prices for plans. If you complain even over a minor thing (I've been bugging e-care to get my two year eligibility discount a month early among other things), there's a good chance they'll credit your bill or give you some other features like free nights starting at 7pm or unlimited texting or something. :bowdown:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Sprint took some of Nextels management and software systems (ensemble) but the Sprint PCS network is 100% discrete from Nextel. The two networks are not compatible, and iDen and CDMA have continued on their own paths as if the merger never happened. There are some devices sprint sells under the "powersource" name that will use Sprint's CDMA network for voice/data and then hop onto Nextels iDen network for walkie-talkie... but those are specialized devices.

Also keep in mind that Sprint has a 30-day network guarantee. Give em a whirl and if you don't like the network, then go your seperate ways, no problems.

6. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I've had cingular, then nextel, and now Sprint for companies.

I have to say bar none Sprints net work is 10x better. THe only issue I've ever seen or heard from anybody is that they have long wait times to get to customer service agent s on phone (very true but they do take good care of you at least).

Anyway I wanted an iPhone but I think I'm going to renew with Sprint their price is better an network especially for internet is best in country.

7. sony

sony Active Member

Try it out for the first 30 days and see how the coverage is in your area. All providers are shit, but not in all areas.

8. The R-ruh

The R-ruh OhMyWhat?!?!

What kind of monthy bill are you paying with a BB plan and Sero? Is it $30 for sero 500 + $30 BB plan? (This would include nights at 7pm, mobile 2 mobile, unlimited data and texting and of course the BB package...does it also include tethering to a laptop?) I'm looking to get a Curve on Sero and want to know what I'd be paying.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Exactly, $30 voice and $30 BB. So all together I'm paying $60+tax. My bills are under $65 out-the-door.

Tethering is technically not included, but when I had my A900 there were some hacks to get away with it. My BB used 180MB of data last month, so Sprint obviously knows these are data-hungry devices.

I have a EVDO ExpressCard that I use for my lappy, so I haven't tried teathering with my BB. I bet its possible.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Sprint has actually been great for me around here.... My company has about 15 of the hybrid phones (ic502) with Sprint cell service and Nextel walkie-talkie. The reception is 100x better than when we were with Nextel.

11. sony

sony Active Member

:werd: For now sprint doesn't care much about data usage. (knock on wood) I've had some anomoly months there were in the high hundreds to gigs of usage and they didn't say anything.