GUN Can someone educate me on black powder rifles?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Oct 27, 2005.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

Or shoot me some links. When someone mentions black powder are they referring to the old lead ball, powder, wadding, flint lock or percussion cap?

Black powder rifles seem to be fairly inexpensive.

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Yes, but they've gotten more refined over the years.

I got to shoot a bunch of black powder some years ago and it's a lot of fun. Makes a lot of smoke too. The rifles aren't that expensive but you have to buy all the other stuff. It's still not as bad as getting a nice, real rifle.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Black powder basically means you're shooting real black powder such as Goex or a synethic like Pyrodex, Triple-Se7en, American Pioneer, etc. Saying you're shooting a black powder gun is really a generic term since you could be using a flintlock or percussion cap like you mentioned or a modern day inline with 209 shotgun primers or even primed 25ACP brass. If you have questions I reccomend you ask them HERE

Also I wouldnt buy any muzzleloader that didnt have the name Knight, Savage, NEF, Thompson Center, or Austin & Halleck on it. Brands like CVA (Which is just a name since they were long ago sued out of business), Traditions, Winchester Muzzleloading(Not the same as Winchester Repeating Arms), Beartooth, or BPI are very popular because they can be bought at walmart, some (like the CVA Buckhorn) can be bought in a package with everything you need for under $150. These brands are cheap because the barrels and actions are made in Spain out of inferior quality steel that is not rated to handle normal muzzleloading pressures. Most seem to be rated at just under 10,000psi while a common load such as 100 grains of pyrodex and a 240gr bullet will produce just over 22,000psi :hsugh: I think I'll spend a little more and keep the use of my hands, thank you.

4. texchef

texchef Guest

OK, you totally lost me when you started comparing psi and grains. Are you saying that the Spain made muzzles can't take the pressure of an America made muzzle?

5. maxgohan

maxgohan OT Supporter

holy moly, your avv, any more pics of teh boobies???:eek5:

6. texchef

texchef Guest

PM sportsjunkie and she if she will send you some. :noes:

7. 7

Yes, they cannot handle the pressure, thought i guess there was really no need to get into that :hs: I just don't want people to go out and buy a potentially dangerous muzzleloaders when there are plenty of quality, affordable models on the market :o

8. mrbill

mrbill New Member

9. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

I saw on TV a guy hunting some nice white tail deer with a muzzle-loader. Looked like something i would definatly love to try out.

10. mrbill

mrbill New Member

it's a lot of fun, but some folks don't like it because you only get one shot, it takes more effort and time to get that shot loaded, it takes much more attention and diligence regarding cleaning, the smoke smells really bad to some folks(but i actually like it), among other reasons. i and a friend of mine introduced a friend of his to black powder by letting him shoot my rifle this weekend. he loved it.

11. 7

I actually prefer to clean my muzzleloader over other guns because it takes no time, I have some stuff that I cant recall from wal-mart that will clean the bore in about about 4 patches then all I have to do is clean and grease the plug and wipe the bolt off. If people dont like shooting them because of the smell tell them to switch over to triple se7en, it smells nothing like pyrodex or BP.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  12. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i'll have to see if i can find that stuff and give it a shot.

13. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

haha, sounds like the reason why people dont like old cars. But i do

I gotta find someone with a black powder to try out.

14. texchef

texchef Guest

Are there black powder pistols that resemble a modern firearm like the rifles? I know you can get flint lock and percussion cap pistols.

15. 7

it comes in a white and yellow bottle, I think it's made by Traditions or T/C, I forget which. I was amazed at how easy it cleaned up the powder but I do spit-patch after each shot and that cuts down on fouling significanty.

Edit: Actually it's T/C No. 13 Bore Cleaner.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  16. 7

Not that I've ever seen but that's not to say they don't exist. :dunno:

17. mrbill

mrbill New Member

what do you mean by resemble?

18. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Since this thread is already up I'll just add my question on...

What brand name should I look for when searching for a black powder revolver? And how much can I expect to pay for a nice one? Nice here meaning built well and won't blow up in my hand...

My grandfather had one that my Uncled ended up running off with and I've always wanted one. It's my plans to eventually get one that I can shoot (i.e. not going to get some expensive collectors gun)

19. 7

I'd got over to www.muzzleloadingforum.com and ask in the pistol section, the discussion there is only about traditional muzzleloading. They used to have a forum for inlines but some of the inline guys got in an argument with the traditional guys and to clear it up the admin deleted the inline forum :hsugh:

20. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i've got a stainless ruger old army that my dad bought new at a gun show for $350 or so.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/gungallery/PowerSearch/showimage.asp?img=kbp7-c.jpg

you can also buy some from cabela's and bass pro shops. while not top end, they will work. i would reccomend staying away from the brass framed ones though. i've heard they don't hold up as well to use as a steel framed one will.