Can someone build me a good system for under $600 ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wongerbonger, Dec 2, 2003.

1. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

I want a good, fast system that is under $600

Here are the parts I already have :

- Enermax C-125-B ATX Mid Tower Case
    - Western Digital 160gb hard drive
    - DVD-R Drive
    - DVD +/- RW Drive
    - ATI Raedon All-in-one Wonder TV Card

So all I really need is a good motherboard, CPU, video card, sound card, cooler, memory, etc.

2. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

:cool:

so for the CPU i was looking at the Athlon XP 3000+ (or 3500 i forget) is that a better one ?

What is a HSF ? i'm a noob..

also, will this be a fast computer? I tend to play a lot of games and run a lot of programs at one time, and im hoping that my new system will have this. Is the mobo a good one? i've never heard of it, what if i replace that mobo with a Soyo Dragon Ultra ? will it work ?

3. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

The 8RDA3+ is a very nice motherboard, I was considering it for awhile

HSF = heatsink + fan, this is what cools your processor. Retail packaged processors come with a "stock" HSF which is "okay" for most users, but alot of people spend $50-60 on a nice HSF with alot of cooling power. You can check out a great list of recomended HSFs here.

As far as the CPU goes, a Barton 2500 is fast and adequate for games. AMD is shipping the Barton 2500s with locked multipliers (edit: so you can only overclock by bumping the FSB). So basically, your money is best spent buying the cheapest unlocked Barton core and overclocking it to whatever speed you want, because that's essentially what AMD does for its faster Barton chips. Don't spend your money on a 3200 or a 3000 or whatever, just drop the $100 and get a 2600 and OC it if you find its not adequate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2003
  4. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

like i posted before.. im a complete noob to this computer stuff... so if i get the 2600, how can i overclock it ?

5. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Okay I'll give you a basic rundown

Your system has a "bus speed" that it operates at. It's called the "front side bus".. this is basically a speed at which the processor talks to other things in the computer.

The actual speed of the processor is determined by the front side bus (FSB) and another thing, the "multiplier"... FSB x multiplier = CPU speed.

For example a 1000 Mhz processor might have a FSB of 100mhz and a multiplier of 10. 100 x 10 = 1000.

Certain motherboards (like the epox recommended earlier) let you CHANGE these settings. You can change both the FSB and the multiplier. Basically, changing the multiplier affects the CPU only, while changing the FSB affects other parts of your computer, especially the RAM. You need to have "good" RAM if you want to fiddle around with your FSB.

To increase your 2600 to a 3200, you will have to bump both the FSB and multiplier. But its no big deal as long as you buy decent RAM and a decent motherboard.

I mean the whole idea behind overclocking is to get more performance than you pay for. If you have money to burn and don't feel the desire to learn about all that's involved, then just plunk down the cash for a fast system and don't feel bad about it.

6. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

:bigthumb:

So is the memory & motherboard reccommended earlier good for OCing on the 2600 ?

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

From everything I have read, yes.. I have different stuff so I have to rely on other's experience :hs:

8. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

what do you have?

9. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Abit NF7-s revision 2.0 motherboard
    AMD Athlon 1800 KIXIB core (got one of the first multiplier locked cores... that's just SUPER! :mad: )
    2 x 256MB Kingmax DDR333 RAM (yeah, Kingmax :ugh: bought it on a whim because it had lots of good reviews)

I haven't got to fire everything up yet because I'm waiting on my HSF and a few other bits and pieces. I should have just ordered everything from newegg like usual :wtc: