Can somebody tell me whats wrong w/my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SunnuvaChurch!, Jul 30, 2005.

1. I have windows xp home edition and i've had it for a while. But, something's happened to it in the past....oh i don't know 6 months that makes it to where i can't type when i first start up my account. to enable myself to type, i have to press the right shift key for about 7 or 8 seconds until i can type. when i first press the shift key it beeps once and at the end of the 8 seconds it beeps again. i've tried everything i could to try and stop this but it mostly results in screwing up my computer even more. i'm not sure if its something wrong with my keyboard or what. please gimme some help on this!

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Have you tried another keyboard? If your current keyboard is PS/2 and you have a free USB slot I'd buy a USB keyboard just make sure it's not something to do with the motherboard (most likely just the keyboard though). Try to borrow someone's keyboard and see if it works.

PS/2 = round connection. USB = rectangle. So you can tell which one you have if you don't know.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

no problem.

4. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

spyware!

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Whenever you press a key on your keyboard, it gets stored in the "keyboard buffer". This keyboard buffer gets processed by the computer when it has the time to do it. That's how you can type stuff when your computer is chugging and then it all zips onto the screen after the computer finishes with whatever it was doing before.

It sounds like one of two things is happening:

1. Windows is screwed up and it's not reading the keyboard buffer properly. By holding down the Shift key, you're flooding the buffer with Shift commands, and when it gets full the computer goes "oh shit, what do I do with all this?" and it all gets dumped and everything starts over all fresh and clean.

2. Your keyboard is screwed up and it's flooding the buffer with garbage commands. When you press the Shift key and hold it, you're overriding the garbage commands and they stop being sent. To see what I mean, hold down one letter key and then press another one while continuing to hold down the first. The stream of letters from the first key stops as soon as the second key is pressed. So once the garbage stops getting sent, Windows can clear out the buffer and start accepting the stuff you type.

The solutions are as follows:

1. Try deleting the keyboard in Device Manager and then reboot so Windows can redetect the keyboard. If that doesn't work, reinstall Windows.

2. Buy a new keyboard and don't spill anything on it.