can really hard water cause swirls?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by hewmanbing, Sep 25, 2005.

1. hewmanbing

hewmanbing your mom is hot.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Hard water doesn't cause swirls directly but if you try to scrub them off you can swirl the paint. You probably aren't going to get those swirls out by hand. Spend a couple hundred on a PC, pads and a dedicated swirl remover.

3. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

What scottwax said and also when ever you touch your paint, be it while waxing or washing/drying, never go in circles. Use back and forth motions.

4. hewmanbing

aaaah... I wish I knew what caused them in the first place before I spend all that effort and money to get them out :hs:

5. hewmanbing

thanks a lot man, I tried the back and forth motions on my hood today to see if it would make a difference and all of the circular swirls are gone... there are now straight "swirls" but they are MUCH less noticeable. I think the "scratch" depth only goes as far as the wax since I get a whole new set with a different coat of wax, and the previous ones disappear.. which is good :hs:

6. hewmanbing

yes grand master. I ordered this: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpol-kit.html

hopefully that will cure my ill ways :hsd:

The pictures must exaggerate the size/depth appearenace of the actual swirls. I think they're only in the wax/sealant layer because this morning I used some of the hand glaze in a back/forward motion, instead of the circular path and found that now all of the circular swirls are gone, and I'm only left with "straight" swirls.. which are much less noticeable per Parabellum's advice :)

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Glazes fill in swirls. Wash it down before waxing and most of the swirls will probably come back.

In any event, the PC should take care of them once and for all.

8. hewmanbing

:embd:

9. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

What Scott had said, when you apply the first coat of wax don't apply it to thick because some waxes dry hard that will cause micro-scratching and use a MF applicator. If you do what Scott said also the oils in a glaze will lubricate to protect the paint from getting micro-scratched while the wax/sealer is being applied. Also a good quality wax/sealer will cover vary small micro-scratches. and a good quality wax you don't need to wait for it to dry while applying it, wipe on - wipe off and you don't need a glaze on good paint with good quality wax, that is if you keep the surface contamination free. On sealers you have to let it dry for it to set right again use a good quality sealer. After a few coats of wax/sealer on your dark colored car you will have good protection from being micro-scratched to death from washing/drying your car.
    Having any kind of contamination while washing and drying off car, using a wash mitt or a drying towel that is to abrasive, use the two bucket method. I like to use a car soap that has good lubricating abilities, Contamination from the water supply can happen so I like to use a water filter. Hard water when wet can't cause scratching when hard water dries it will cake up and like Scott said when you scrub off, boom.