can OSX read ntfs drives?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Mar 10, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

heres what i'd like to do, i end up going over my friends and other people's house's alot to fix they're windows systems (go figure!)

a lot of them do not want to give up precious data and they dont do regular backups. in the past, i've brought over my computer, taken out they're drive(s) and transferred what i've needed from that drive to my computer, then reinstalled windows and transferred the data back.
    i have to do this, because most of the time they're drive is really bad and won't boot, even when you try to repair windows with the windows disk and repair center.

what i'd like to do is get an iBook or even a mac mini, buy an ide to usb adapter and plug that in to the mac, then go through the crapped out drive and retrieve whatever i need.
    possible? i don't think macs will read ntfs partitions, even if they are through usb,
    anyone try anything like this?

2. ahead

ahead New Member

a mac will read a Fat32 drive but not NTFS. also pick up a sled that is IDE to firewire just incase, it should work with USB but FW is what most are comfortable.

just to be safe id take a FAT32 drive and a IDE to FW sled to a apple store and try it out, so you dont end up buying a computer and having to return it.

3. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

macs will read both ntfs and fat32 but can only write to fat32.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

:werd:

5. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I am dual booting OSX86 and WinXP and I have my XP partition mounted on my desktop. I can read from it, but obviously writing is a no-go.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

so, i'll be able to gather files off of an ntfs drive and put them on the ibook/mac mini drive temporarely
    problem would be getting them back onto the ntfs computer.

i guess i could use a crossover cable and somehow set up a network, i don't know how though with a mac.

or, i could get an external hard drive, connect that to the mac, send the files from the mac to the external and then connect the external to the ntfs computer.

(how does anyone with a mac and an external drive deal with files bigger than 4gb? since it would have to run on fat32...?)