can only run in 2x agp mode, help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IDAFC21, Oct 14, 2003.

1. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

alright heres the deal. the agp slot on my mobo is a 2x/4x slot, my graphics card is an ati radeon 9600 pro, which i think is a 4x/8x card. i was looking around in the bios, and saw my agp mode was only set to 2x, and the properties in my ati control panel were set to 2x. now. if i set them both at 4x (in the bios and the ati properties in windows) i boot up to windows and it does NOT like that. am i doing somthing wrong? (well obviously i am, the question is WHAT am i doing wrong) Also, what is the Agp aperature thing thats in my bios too...its set to 64mb right now, what does that do?

2. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

anyone? :dunno:

3. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

can't help you with the 2x prob.. using the newest drivers?

aperature (i believe) is the amount of system ram that can be dedicated to the video card if it needs extra ram for textures, etc.

for example, if you have 512mb system ram but a 4mb video card, you could give your video card the potential to use 64mb of the system ram for video ram by setting the aperture to 64mb.

however, i don't think this is automatic.. the software needs to actually do something whacky to get this.. and most cards never use it.. so it's pretty much worthless. if you have a video card w/ lots of memory you can set this really low (like 16mb)

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I just got an ATI and there was an insert in the box saying that you have to install the latest motherboard drivers for 4x AGP support - I guess you missed reading that ;)

5. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

lookin thru the box here....nope, no insert

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Don't 4x AGP cards need an external power source? Is that plugged in?

7. D3aC0n

D3aC0n Vesa ToskaLOL OT Supporter

Turn off FastWrites in the BIOS

8. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

what does fastwrites do?

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I searched about aperture size last week actually. What I found out is that it is the amount of system memory that the video card is allowed to use to process graphics. The site I was reading did some tests, and they found it didn't make a huge difference from 16MB to 256MB, but they suggested at least 128 for new graphics cards if you have enough RAM.