can my Intel d845GBV mobo support 2gb RAM?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mister91RT/TT, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Mister91RT/TT

Mister91RT/TT professional lurker

I'm attempting to upgrade a little bit, for 3d graphics rendering (3dmax, etc.)
    and i'm looking at two 1gb PC2100 sticks to replace my single 512 that came with the system.

the intel site says:"This desktop board has been designed to support DIMMs based on 512 Mbit technology for a maximum onboard capacity of up to 2 GB, but this technology has not been validated on this desktop board."

i've got two slots. WTF does this mean?

also, what else will help autoCAD/3dmax rendering times the most for the money?

thanks

2. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

Definitely a 3d/CAD card would improve rendering times. I would reccomend an nVidia Quadro. Try to find a card that fits your budget. There is not a huge difference between between a $500 card and a $3000 one unless you happen to encode video live for a channel like CBS. Also what would increase productivity would be using Maya, since Maya > * :p
    All jokes aside, you may want to look into faster hard drives as well, if you have a lot of $$$ look into SCSI 320 hard drives. My father has a 15,000RPM SCSI 320 harddrive and its a lot faster than any other HDD he's used.

As for the main question, it most likely means that it will work, hardware-wise but the BIOS that came with the board may not (for those with older versions of the mobo that didnt update the BIOS) and intel plan(ned/s) to create a new BIOS for the mobo. That's just a guess, however. You may want to try emailing intel with the same question, they should know.

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, I am kinda tired.

3. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Use 2x Crucial CT12864Z40B those should work fine in that board and give you 2GB total.

Video upgrade would be huge. Quadro or FireGL either would be ok. I like the quadro line myself.