Can lunges be a replacement for squats?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Falconer, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I tore a spinal erector a couple weeks ago and I need to lay off of squats for a while because they aggravate my back.

For as long as I've been lifting weights, squats have been the only quad exercise I've done. Can lunges be used as a replacement and still result in good quad stimulation? I can't do leg presses right now either.

I'm thinking lunges might be cool because they'll let me work each leg independently which will prevent/correct any imbalances I may have developed from squatting.

For those of you who do lunges, do you prefer to do them with a barbell on your back or with dumbbells at your side? I'm thinking with my back it might be better for me to use dumbbells.

2. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

Well if thats all you can do...then I guess. IMO i like the barbell but the dbs would be easier on your back, i think.

3. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

have you tried front squats?

Lunges single leg squats Bulgarian split squats, leg curls etc. would eb a good replacement until you are healed up.

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I think that both lunge and step ups would it glutes a bit more.
    You could do BB hack squat, DB or cable split squat if you still want to hit quads although I feel that split squat hit quads or glutes depending on how far you put your feet from the bench.

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Is this a self-diagnosis?

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

No. I had never felt pain like this before and I was seriously afraid I had fucked up my spine or something. The pain went all the way down to the bottom of my coccyx. It hurt when I moved, when I stood up, sat up, and if I was sitting down and straightened out my legs (think like the motion you do on a leg extension machine), it would cause horrible pain in the bottom of my tailbone. That was the part that scared me.

btw I did lunges Monday night and they were hard as hell. I started with what I thought would be a very light weight and i could barely complete one set. I did walking lunges and took 16 steps, so 8 reps per leg basically. And not only were my legs shaky as hell, I was also out of breath at the end, too. I will definitely add these to my leg workout day.

And my back was fine the next day, too :)

7. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

so an mri was involved?

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

db squats :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.