MIL Can I win this battle?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

So here's whats up. I reenlisted back in April. Here in the PA National Guard (not sure if this is true for all of the Guard), if you extend for 6 years, you get a lump sum $15k bonus. Thats what I wanted, so I did it. My unit clerk and I got the paperwork all done up so I could raise my right hand with the Battalion Commander. We printed all the documents from the online area from Incentive Branch and made sure everything was perfect. I got the first part of my bonus (comes in two checks) about a month or so later. Been waiting and waiting for the 2nd part. I finally sit down with the unit clerk again and ask her whats up. So we get online and look at the documents (all my records are in AKO). We check it over carefully and everything looks right. Its signed off by incentive branch and everything. We talked to the recruiter and he doesn't see why I haven't gotten the rest of my bonus. We call up to Incentive Branch and they say that a memorandum was issued that the lump sum payment for reenlistments was temporarily suspended in February, but lifted in May. If my reenlistment paperwork was wrong, it should have been kicked back to be redone. Even though this temporary policy covers my reenlistment, shouldn't I still get paid since its signed for being correct for lump sum? I was also told that I have a possible IG complaint and that if they won't honor what they signed, then my reenlistment is void. Is that true?

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

yes

pm TurboManiacal

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

have it in writing = golden.

IG complaint. Do you have a law office nearby?

Shoot, the commanders don't even like to give LOR's without a shitload of prior documentation around here

5. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I'll mention it to him

6. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Nah, no law office or JAG office or anything like that. At least that I know of.

I'm just hoping they pay me the rest of my bonus and I can keep going as I have been. Rather not have to pay back the other half (its not spent yet) and go my seperate way.

7. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Yeah...I'll reply to your PM. Think we should forward this to your servicing IG.

8. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I have an appointment with the IG on Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Someone is gonna get dicked. I think the IG will be pitching.

10. murderer

murderer ****** by ***** *********s

totally

11. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Yeah, for real. Told another guy I know about my problem and he said it looks like I would be getting the rest of my bonus. Looks like somebody make a $5600 error...

12. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

Had a teleconference with my unit's clerk and the Master Sergeant up at the IG. From the way it sounds, I'm SOL. Regardless of what was signed, when it was signed and what it says I should get, NGB policy rules all. Other soldiers with similar issues (this has happened before) have just accepted the fact they weren't getting the rest of their bonus. These were also soldiers who needed to stay in. I still have the money in my account and can pay it back if need be. Just have to wait and see whats up at this point.

13. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

Long story short, they're perfectly comfortable with stating that your contract may or may not mean what it says, especially in regards to your money?

Are you planning on staying in, pending outcome of this situation, or have you told them to go fornicate with themselves yet? Looks to me like they've pretty much voided their end of this contract, whether it be by not coughing up what you signed for, or by having re-enlistment people without a clue who had you sign a contract that they couldn't keep up on their end because of a 3-month suspension in that part of the policy.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen things like this in the last decade, and thought to myself "I got out at a good time". Good luck getting it all resolved.

14. Jyokker

Call your congressman :mamoru:

15. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I was going to stay in. I have the first half of my bonus still in the bank, so I can pay it back without problem. I do want to stay in. I enjoy what I do. If they don't want to hold up to what I signed for, then void the contract. I'll sign a new one. I just want what I signed for.

Are you being serious?

16. Jyokker

I was being half serious. It is an option, be prepared for recourse.

17. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I challenged the Fort Carson, CO commanding general and won, so they can bring it. (I'm a former BOSS representative)

18. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Congressional intervention is definitely an option, and will work. As Jyokker said, be prepared for some blowback. It's like the nuclear version of stepping outside the chain of command. It will work, but people will be pissed.

19. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I definitely plan on exhausting all options first. When I went to my congressman about the Fort Carson, CO barracks visitation policy, it was when nobody else would listen to complaints.

The bottom line is an error was made. I will not stop until what my contract states is honored or a new contract is done.

20. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

**FINAL DECISION FROM IG**

I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing this and I'm tired of thinking about it, but it looks like it could get ugly. I talked to my unit this morning. The IG's final ruling is that NGB's policy is the final ruling matter. Even though my contract did get signed off, in error, for a lump sum payment, it won't matter. The IG said that I signed a contract to be in the National Guard and I'll get my money, just not when I want it. Had the error been caught, the paperwork would have been kicked back to be redone. I could have redone my contract after the policy change was rescinded (which it was by the time this error was found). Since my contract was signed off erroneously, I'm out of luck. They won't change it and can't pay me per the amended policy at the time. The quote from the E8 at IG was "I signed a contract to be in the National Guard, regardless of when the bonus will be paid". I'm not happy with the IG's ruling. Should I try to set up a meeting with the Adjutant General of PA or go straight to my state representative or senator? Both congressmen have offices here in my town.

I'm the type that doesn't back down from a fight. When would be the appropriate time to throw in the towel?

21. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Call John Pippy -- He's State senate, and an Army Gaurd and from the Pittsburgh area.

http://www.senatorpippy.com/

---

22. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Thank you. I'm contacting him now.

23. JSin

JSin New Member

File an appeal. When the Army decided that OCS bonuses were illegal after we were almost officers they said we could appeal the decision and stay in or get out. A couple guys got out, most guys didn't bother appealing becuase they thought it was just the Army giving us the run around. I filed the appeal paperwork but figured it was a lost cause. Sent in my signed contract that included the bonus.

4 months later they approved every appeal sent in and paid the bonus and everybody who didn't file the appeal started scrambling to get in in. I'd go the route your going now, but worse comes to worse, send in a paperwork appeal.

24. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Just for my information, who would I be appealing to?

25. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

how lucky you are to have a senator who is also in the NG