Can I wetsand with an electic sander?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MartyFukstein, Jul 15, 2005.

1. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

After laying down three coats of basecoat, then two coats of clearcoat, I'm left with a lot of orange peel. Sanding it out by hand is energy-draining. Can I do the first phase of sanding with 1000 grit and a handheld electric sander?

2. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms OT Supporter

I've used a pneumatic Dual-Action with 3M Hookit sanding discs for sanding 800, 1000 and 1500 grit...turns out just fine. I've never done it wet, just dry sanding large body panels (hood, doors, etc) and then following up with Compounding/Polishing/Glaze with a rotary, just like usual. Like I said, I've always used a D/A for that, never a palm sander or the like, so I couldn't tell you how successful it would be, but that is my experience.

All that being said, I still find the best results come from doing it by hand. Plus I enjoy it more that way.

3. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

to get rid of orange peel... HAND SAND... you need to remove as little as possible to do this and not remove ALL of the orange peel... just enough so that its not as visible noticeable. the trick here is to remove AS LITTLE CLEAR AS POSSIBLE. that can't be done by an air-sander or DA sander. I would do it by hand. You will be happier that you didnt sand through the clear in the end!