Can I use an iPhone on ATT network w/out the iPhone plans?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by strykker, Mar 12, 2008.

1. strykker

strykker Active Member

I have a Cingular/ATT plan now and am thinking about getting an iPhone but I don't know what I would need to do to use the iPhone without having to sign up for their iPhone specific plans.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

jailbreak and unlock
    pop your current sim card out of your phone and put it in the iphone instead...

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

If you do that I'm not sure if you'll be able to access the full functionality of the phone tho (visual voicemail, edge, etc)

I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could figure it out, but I don't think the $10 extra for unlimited data is that big of a deal. Its worth it IMO.

4. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

if it's already a cingular or new At&t sim you don't need to do any of that shit. Just pop the sim out that comes in it and put in yours. But like it was said above, you may not get visual voicemail, but that would probably be it. The edge will work fine though, so will everything else.

My brother bought one when they dropped the price of the 4gig, and 2 days later the AnySim unlock or whatever came out (the command line one) so we did that to his and we both have plans on the old At&t wireless (before cingular) so we couldn't just switch sims, but his girlfriend had cingular before we unlocked it and she just popped her sim in and it worked fine without unlocking it. You'll still need to do the activation thing with a program (not itunes) but once you do that you should just be able to pop in the sim.

5. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

download iplus 2.0 run it without the -u itll jailbreak and activate it but wont unlock it, its the easiest way

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

the thing that would be great to avoid is the ghey 2 year contract they force on you even though they aren't providing anything for it. generally, contracts are only to help offset the cost of phone subsidies, but not with at&t apparently.

7. MMor101

MMor101 OT Supporter

Yup the only thing you wont have is the visual voice mail if you have a data plan.

8. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

i just picked one up last night, did iPlus 2.0, no problems what so ever. Unlocked and jailbroken in about 20 minutes. The longest part was restoring the phone to 1.1.4, other than that, it was quick. I'm on Cingular Blue or At&t wireless, whatever you want to call it from way back in the day and everything works (except visual voicemail obviously)

9. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

so wait...

I have a Tilt with Unlimited Data, I could "jailbreak" an iPhone and use it with my data plan?

AT&T told me that even with my Unlimited Data I would have to have the iPhone data plan :ugh:

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That's strange cause isn't the Tilt data plan more expensive then the iPhone one (I know a friend with a Tilt that always complains about how expensive the data plan is and is always looking for ways around it).

11. MattC

MattC gotta love the prewar

Step 1: Buy Tilt off of Ebay.
    Step 2: Go to AT&T store and buy regular flip phone w/ $20.00 unlimited data plan.
    Step 3: Take sim out of new flip and put into tilt, then return phone bought at store (or sell on Ebay).
    Step 4: Profit