Can I use an AGP 4x video card in an AGP 2x slot?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Sep 3, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I rescued an old Dell Precision workstation from work today (it won't finish running the BIOS program -- maybe a flash will fix it, I dunno), and it has an AGP Pro 2x slot. It's pretty hard to find any decent video cards that say they're compatible with AGP 2x anymore; can I just use an AGP 4x/8x card and have it run at the lower speed, or will it shit the bed on me?

2. Chanandler Bong

Chanandler Bong OT Supporter

3. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

A 2x will make no difference. I run a 8x ATI Radeon 7500 8x in a Abit 4x Server board. Just slows down the data rate.

4. deusexaethera

I know 8x can work in 4x slots; the reason I was asking about using one in a 2x slot is because there seems to be some difference between 2x/4x and 4x/8x (or at least the distinction exists on NewEgg), so I wanted to see if anyone had tried an 8x in a 2x slot.

Ah, it seems the difference is one of voltage. However, if the keys on the bottom of the card let it fit in the slot, that should mean the card can handle both voltages, right?

5. jimbo_jones

jimbo_jones New Member

6. deusexaethera

Looks good; I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something obvious, because I'd hate to buy a video card for the thing and then burn it out.

7. doubledave

doubledave New Member

It probably won't physically fit. They're keyed a certain way so that if it won't work then it won't fit. AGP 4X cards will work with 2X, 4X, and 8X slots and 4X slots will work with 2X, 4X, and 8X cards. 2X slots will not work with 8X cards and 8X slots won't work with 2X cards.

8. deusexaethera

It seems to me that a double-keyed card will fit in any AGP slot. It's possible I missed something, though.

Anyway, next question: I just remembered that machine has two PCI-X slots. What's better, AGP 2x or PCI-X?

9. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

AGP.

PCI port is about 133 MB/s
    AGP 1X = 254.3 MB/s and so on.

10. deusexaethera

That settles that, then.

Well, I think I've gotten the machine up and running again. Now I just have to decide what to do with the thing -- it's enormous and it makes an excellent space heater.

EDIT: Nope, no dice. The BIOS won't finish executing unless I unplug the machine and take out the backup battery, and even then it'll only boot up once. I just got a used mobo off eBay that can use dual Xeons, though. :wiggle:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008