Can I turn my my dead external HD into an external HD case?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by celestialkin, Feb 4, 2008.

1. celestialkin

celestialkin New Member

snip

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3. celestialkin

celestialkin New Member

Really? I really hope so.

Do you know how I could/should go about it? Maybe you know a link to somewhere where they explain how to do it?

I know very little about these things, and I really do not want to mess things up.

I have been look through google for info, but I have not found anything yet.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

just swap out the hard drive inside, its not going to be anything special or properetary, just an ordinary hard drive hooked up the enclosure

5. celestialkin

celestialkin New Member

OK. Thanks for the information dude.

Before I do anything is there anything I should know not to do which could damage the enclosure?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I highly doubt your abilities and would normally say don't attempt even using a computer... But honestly you open it, unplug the old drive, and plug in the new one.... If you screw that up, you shouldn't have survived your first birthday.

7. celestialkin

celestialkin New Member

Oh. I honestly thought it would be way more complicated than that when I made this thread.

For you guys it might be an everyday thing, but for guys like me who have no experience in electronics looking at all those wires parts and mechanical stuff is kind of intimidating. I doubt I know what anything in there is called besides the Hard Drive.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

uh, after all of the BS, why wouldn't you just go with the refurb unit from WD? refurbs are generally ok because the vendor repairs any problem that it might have had.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

refurb hd == :greddy:

10. celestialkin

celestialkin New Member

Refurbished stuff never works. They are basically taking your broken item and giving you the guy before you's broken item.

Every time it so much of a headache that now I rather lose the money and save the mental torment. Plus I might go postal if I need to talk to another non-english speaking Indian again from "Masury".

I just got through a huge problem with Nintendo actually. They did not tell me they were going to keep my DS system and send me a refurbished one. They kept insisting it would be just as good, but after three of them (One did not even turn on, and the second and third had buttons that did not work). I ended up buying a new one at Bestbuy and putting the refurbished one in the box then took it back. I also canceled the credit card I gave them, so I got to keep another one (but the R button doesn't work :squint:).

There is also the fact that I did not pay for a refurbished item. I do not want someone else's garbage. I want the new item I purchased.

All this combined makes me prefer being out 80-something bucks than having to deal with it again.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Y'know, it's one thing to hassle noobs a bit, it's all part of the dominance instinct and all that shit, but you seriously do need to stop being offensive. If he'd argued with your advice, I'd keep quiet about it, but all he did was ask a question. "...you shouldn't have survived your first birthday"? Come on dude.

Maybe you need another ban to get you back in line.

12. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

something i actually agree with. the surviving first b-day comment is quite tasteless for this sub-forum.

13. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

that is somewhat true for consumer products. it all depends on the warranty for refurbished products.

we get about 3-4 refurb'd drives as replacements every week for the SAN, servers, whatever. the refurbs have yet to fail... even after 5-6 years of constant usage.

i don't know what the desktop/laptop people see.

14. deusexaethera

How big is your SAN that it's chewing up 3-4 drives a week? I know refurbs have a somewhat limited lifespan compared to new units, but either your SAN is homicidal, or it's enormous. I had a 40-disk fibre-channel SAN (recently relieved of duty) that only ever needed a single drive replacement in the 2.5 years it was under my purview.

15. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Agreed...

This isn't the OT forum.

16. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

read. it's not just the SAN. It's for anything with a disk, SAN, servers, external arrays...

17. deusexaethera

Ah. Still, that's a lot of disk failures. Are you buying refurb just because they're cheaper, or do you really not see any longer lifetimes with new disks?

18. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

... No, not really. you already stated that one would have to have an enormous san to see 3-4 disks fail a week. we don't have one SAN, we have a bunch and again, it's not just a SAN, it's everything else with a disk.

we don't buy refurb disks. this is what the vendor ships as replacement. and they all have been working fine.