A&P Can I take and upload a pic somewhere every 10 seconds?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by scirio, Aug 1, 2007.

1. scirio

scirio Active Member

This is sort of miscategorized but not really...
    I have a project at work that would require a camera to take a poicture every 10 soconds or so and automagically upload it somewhere. Or at least put it in a viewing or preview window once it's taken.

I was thinking a Nikon and Nikon Capture to take the pics but then what...???
    I was also thinking making some kind of automation using the Mac folder automation thing--but what? What should it do with the pics?

It needs to be fully automated. That's the thing. Anybody have any ideas?
    :x:

2. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Any way of having the Nikon capture automatically upload it thru ftp into a folder?

3. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

set up a webcam :dunno:

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i've never done it but this is how it would work:

you setup nikon capture to save all taken photos to an online folder on a server somewhere

or you can have automator run a script everytime a photo hits a local folder and uploads it for you.

im assuming you have some kind of script running on a webpage that automatically updates once a photo is taken?

5. scirio

scirio Active Member

But thats so low quality and video wont work. Nice, high quality, sharp photos are what we need :cool: I have thought of that though.

6. scirio

scirio Active Member

OK, well, if a webcam can do it, somebody point me to a very high resolution webcam. Something that can be 8-10 feet from the wall and provide an image of that wall that someone could read off of if it were an image (get it?)
    I cant think of a way to see if this would work without going out and buying every camera there was. we have a $100 logitech webcam that wont do it and it's supposed to be good image quality but it's a joke.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

canon offers a wireless ftp transmitter from the camera, (jpeg only), to buy is around 1k, but I'm sure you could rent it, but keep in mind it only works with certain bodies too

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

if you can get a program to do the shooting and dump files in a folder the uploading is easy, i can help you out with it windows or mac.

9. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

you set up servu or any ftp client to automatically ync the local folder where capture dumps the new file.

once uploaded on the web either you create a craon to make a new webpage, or a dynamic webpage (php/perl) or you just point out to the folder.