Can I splice stereo sub outputs into a single cord?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Apr 19, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm working on installing a sub in my car; I've got power to the amp and output signal to the sub, but I haven't run the wires from the head unit to the amp yet.

I have a mono amp, but it has stereo inputs, and my Clarion head unit has stereo sub outputs. Since it's a mono amp, to reduce the number of wires I have to fuck with, can I splice together the stereo sub outputs into a single pair of wires before I run it back to the trunk? Or will that cause problems?

While I'm at it, if the answer is "no you can't splice them together", what does the mono amp do to combine the stereo signals besides just connecting wires together inside the box?

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

no... mono amps are basically internally bridged, and you need to feed both inputs... unless it's an old school lego look jbl amp, and those you had to feed 4 inputs to get the full power.

3. deusexaethera

I was still going to feed both inputs; my evil plan was to splice the stereo outputs on the head unit into a single pair of wires, then split the pair of wires back into two plugs at the other end. Is that kosher, or do the stereo inputs on the amp really need to be fed two different signals?

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

You are only doing away with 1 wire, just run a set of stereo RCA cables and be done with it.

5. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

The head unit is only giving out 1 signal, not 2. Especially when using your sub output. So basically, your "plan" is pointless. You buy a pair of RCAs and hook them up. You'll be making a lot more work for yourself by trying to ghetto rig it. The amp will be internally bridged giving the mono output.

6. deusexaethera

If there is only one signal coming out of the head unit to run the sub, why are there two outlets?

Also, I made my own cables using twinax and modular shielding. Premade cables might be not that expensive, but DIY is still cheaper, and it fits perfectly.

Anyway, I got everything hooked up kosher-style, and it works very well. Just gotta tune the amp a bit to get the output where I want it.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

did you put the amp in the box like you were going to?

8. deusexaethera

No. I got the smallest amp I could find, but it was still too big. It's bolted to the underside of the rear deck in the trunk instead.

I think I have a current leak; my amplifier doesn't seem to be shutting down completely, or else there's a grounding problem and current is bleeding through into the chassis. Anyone know where I can get a 60-amp relay to cut off power to the amp when the ignition is off? I've already got other leads spliced into the ignition switch that I can use to trigger the relay, I just need to get one that can handle the power the amp might pull.

9. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

The amp shouldn't pull much of anything from the remote turn on lead.

10. deusexaethera

I wasn't expecting it to; what I was concerned about was that the amp was pulling power from the + power wire running straight to the battery, even when it was supposed to be off, or else there was a short somewhere.

However, it looks like that isn't happening after all; whatever killed my battery the one time, it hasn't come back. It just took a while for the battery to get fully-recharged.

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

did you trickle charge the battery with a charger or let the alternator do it?

12. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh Guest

i don't think you fully grasp car audio

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:mamoru:

14. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

there is nothing wrong with your plan but it seems so pointless. All car audio rca cables come as a pair just run the pair. Also some rca cables are twisted together so that you don't get interference from a power line. and really why does it matter how many cables you run? you installed a sub so weight obviously isn't the issue. All you are going to do it make more work for yourself and make it more likely that you will have a problem.