Can i run a set of components and a set of 6.5 coaxials off a 2 channel amp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blair, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Blair

Blair New Member

I have a rockford fosgate 360a2 and i want to know if i can run my components that will be going in the front doors of my truck and the coaxials that will be going in the back doors of my truck off this amp. How would i go about doing this? Thanks for any help guys. :x:

2. C25A1guy

C25A1guy Guest

Personally, I don't think it's such a great idea running 4 channals off of a 2-ch amp. If anything, to attain better staging, I would run the componets up front off the amp and the co-ax in the rear off the head unit.

3. EvolutionR

EvolutionR New Member

Can you do it? Yes but why? Your load going into the amp will change depending on the ohms of the speakers that may in turn cause damage to the amp. So basically my answer would be a No, Don't do it. Man up and get another amp or run only one set. Is your truck a quad cab or what? If it's just a single cab build a set of kicks and run the components off of it. Your sq and stage will love you for it. You don't really need the rear fill as most of it will just be unheard anyway. If it's a quad cab well time to go shopping. Either way, good luck

4. 04

04 Guest

I personally wouldnt run two pairs of speakers off a single 2 channel amplifier but that doesnt mean it cant be done. You would probably get around the same loudness with running the rear speakers off of deck power too.

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

In theory you can parallel the speakers (assuming they're 4ohms) down to 2ohm stereo but it would sound like shit.

T

6. 04

04 Guest

Why would it sound like shit? If you mean the rears sound too loud or too quiet then ok, but otherwise it wont affect the sound quality.

If you wired the speakers in series, that would be a whole different story though.

7. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

He would lose fade and balance controls.

T

8. Blair

Blair New Member

point taken, i will be buying a four channel,i dont know what i was thinking, amps are so cheap on ebay might as well do it right not ghetto style.

9. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

jl 300/4 is a super solid amp. 75x4 is enough for most people. Zapco and PPI also make solid amps.

T

10. Blair

Blair New Member

11. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

12. Blair

Blair New Member

there are some really cheap audiobahns on ebay, some on this forum say they are no good, any other opinions?

13. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

meh....stay away from audiobahn

14. Blair

Blair New Member

so if i buy an amp with crossover i dont need to use the crossovers that came with my components?

15. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

yes u use them, the crossovers that come with the component set are passive. they will just split up the power from the amplifier between the tweeter and mid. The crossover on the amplifier is an active high pass filter used to filter out any frequencies below what u set it to. most people set it around 80-120hz for a 2 way component set.

if u didnt want to use the passive crossovers that come with the component set u would need to run each speaker off its own channel, so u would need 6 channels to do so in ur situation.

16. Blair

Blair New Member

alright thanks a lot, that clears things up, i appreciate the help greatly.

17. On_One

On_One Guest

I'd spend the extra bill and get the 450/4

Finally somebody has made a 4 channel amp were channels 1 & 2 offer a higher output.

18. On_One

On_One Guest

Only if you plan on doing a n active biamp set up.

Under normal circumstances you will want to use the x-over on the amp as well as the passive x-over that came with the comp set.

In most case you'll want to use the highpass on the amp, set somewhere between 50-80HZ.

19. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

My roommate is running a 450/4 with some boston pros. 150watts = goodness.

T