can i reformat using someone elses XP CD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kilabeez0, Dec 26, 2004.

1. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

So i've never done this so try not to flame. I was given my computer as a gift and it didn't come with a XP cd. I really can't afford one at the time but I'd like to reformat because my computer is running terribly. I dont have a CD or DVD burner believe it or not, but I can afford one since they are cheap right now. Here are my basic questions.

If I install a DVD burner what exactly do I have to copy? just things i want like my My Documents folders and what not?

Second, I understand that a windows XP cd can only be used on 1 computer by the original owner. Can't I call up and tell them i'm reformatting and need a new password?

Before anyone rips on me about using someone elses XP cd, it's really my only option right now. I've done searches and i'm still reading up on how exactly to do this. Any info is really appreciated. Thank you.:hsd:

2. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

3. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

Do you have a key code for Windows somewhere like on the back of your computer? I think, as long as you use your own key code, it doesn't matter what CD you use. My computer didn't come with a Windows CD either but there's a sticker on the back of the case with my key on it.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Don't buy a Dell OEM CD off eBay. Its illegal to sell it and it won't work on a non-Dell machine. Places like Newegg will sell you a generic OEM Windows for about 1/2 retail. So Maybe $100 for Home, $150 for Pro. That's if you don't have either a CD or a code. If you have the sticker on the back with the CD key, that's all you need, besides a generic copy of Windows. You can also extract the key from your working Windows with a program called aida32.

5. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

ok on the side of my PC i found a sticker that says windows XP home edition with a crap load of numbers. how many digits is it supposed to be?

6. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

is it the 25 digit product key number? or one of the other numers?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If you need an XP Home CD, I've got a stack of about 75 *LEGIT* XP Home CD's. They are without the COA, but if you have your own COA you can use this CD with your COA. They're the genuine CD's still in shrink wrap.

If you (or anyone else) needs some, you can have them for the cost of shipping. A company placed a large (200+ systems) from us, so we put all the COAs on the systems, but they only wanted a small stack of CDs... So we've got a crapload left over. I've just been handing em out to customers that lose theirs, lol.

8. frostedfrank

frostedfrank OT Supporter

do they come with serial?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

please re-read my post... NO COA.

10. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

Yes, you need the product key. As long as you have that, you can use any Windows XP CD to install.

11. Use the repair option...go to the console....format the drive, reinstall....(still need a key)

12. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

what do u mean go to the console? are you saying i can reinstall without a CD?

And i'm guessing it would be a waste of time trying to backup on CDrom right? my parents have an old sony cd burner but it says it only works with win 95/98/2000 anyway.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, Lazzlo cannot read... you require a CD to reinstall.

14. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

ok i'll buy one from the person above.

so answer me this then, if i got a generic XP cd, and I have a 25 digit registration number on the side of my computer. Couldn't I install XP on any computer I wanted and re-use the registration number as much as I want? And if that IS the case, if someone didn't have XP at all, couldn't they acquire the cd and "borrow" someone else's registration. I mean i understand it's not legal or anything, but is it that easy?

15. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You've never head of Windows/Office activation?

16. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

You can only reuse the same cd-key up to 4 times without any changes made to hardware. If you change any hardware and reinstall Windows 4 times, Microsoft does not allow you to register the serial # that you currently have. That being said, go buy the damn CD.

17. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

ok i'm getting the cd. but that still doesn't answer my question. if i get one of the cd's without a key code, without registering anything via the internet how can they know how many times i've used it?

or do u mean that EACH cd records how many times it's been used?

I feel people getting aggrivated at the noob questions, if that's the case then dont respond. Now i'm just curious as to the "what if's" that's all.

18. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Dell CD's will install XP w/o problem on other computers. The problem arises from entering the COA off of a Dell. Using a Dell system, they will not require activation but when you change hardware or on a different computer it contacts Microsoft and gives you 30 days to enter a valid COA. If the code has been used more than once the system won't accept it which is why you shouldn't buy a Dell CD online in case he's otherwise sold the COA.

I have about 10 machines running XP in all but I am allowed free licenses of XP Pro through Microsoft's MSDNAA program on any computers I use. Occasionally I've had to reinstall using a Dell CD on one of my other machines when I can't find the cd for said computer.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it will physically install, but it is not legal to do so. You can physically rob a bank, but that does not make it legal.

Unfortunatly, some asshats (not refering to anyone in this thread) feel that it's okay to steal windows... And it is also unfortunate that Microsoft does not have the ability to procecute everyone that does steal Windows... So some feel it is a safe crime. That does not change the fact that it is a crime, however.

Microsoft has a small restriction called "Activiation" which makes it more difficult to steal the product longer than 30 days.

20. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

ok well that makes a little more sense. so basically when u type the code in, it sends it to microsoft and within 30 days it'll either continue working or stop? what if it's not connected to the internet?

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

basically you have 30 days to "activate" windows. Until you do, you can use it for 30 days. However, if 30 days elapses and you don't activate, you cannot use windows. If you do not have access to the internet, the activation program will give you a toll-free phone number you can call. You call the number, and read a key off your screen to the agent. They then give you another 42-digit code that you enter in, and then your computer knows it's activated.

And to answer the dumb question some dumbass always brings up:

If you don't have an internet connection and you don't have access to a phone, either, then you're screwed and cannot legally use Windows XP Home for more than 30 days :hsd: