Can I overclock my GeForce 2 MX/MX 400?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Crisis54, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Crisis54

Crisis54 New Member

I am VERY new to overclocking. I have had this card for awhile and frankly it's a piece of crap. Playing Guildwars on low is just plain wrong. Not only that, the damn thing can't handle cutscenes when it show's the landcape. The thing chugs like no tommorrow.

Anyways, I'm gonna buy a new card in a few months, and I thought since this crap is gonna go to the garbage soon, I might aswell try to OC it. Is it possible with this card? Can anyone tell me exactly how to do it?

I got that rivatuner, but I'm not exactly sure how much I can OC it. How much can I move the slider for the memory and the core clock? Is it possible too move it TOO much and break it? Anyhelp would be great, thanks.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Can you over clock it? -> yes
    Is it worth it? -> no. On a card that old you will likely see a tiny increase in speed, and IMO, not worth it.

3. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Don't overclock the core on a GF2 MX, overclock the RAM. If you can push it fast enough it will be as fast as a GeForce 256 DDR/GF 4 MX 440.

But personally I'd invest in a new card if I were you.

4. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I pushed my old Abit GF4 MX440 card to 310 core and 250 on the RAM, the stock was 270/200 if I remember correctly so they do overclock decently. Your overclock will vary depending on which specific card you have, how good of a core heatsink/fan it has, and how well cooled the memory chips are. The GF4 MX440 used a 2nd revision of the GF2 MX's core, so they overclock better, if you have a GF2 don't expect much more than probably 220/210 or so.