can i just get a sim card at a cingular store

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DestructoBot, Jan 30, 2005.

1. DestructoBot

DestructoBot New Member

and just hook it up over the phone

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

they are $25 from stores

3. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

does that mean u can use two phones at the same time if you have two sim cards???

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

you'd need two phone numbers if you were going to have two sims

5. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Yep, good luck calling up saying "yeah...i have this sim card I want hooked up" :ugh:

You'll need to provide an IMEI, and have a specific phone number for that SIM

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:dunno: I did it when I tried out T-Mobile. I walked in, told them I wanted to try their service and that I already had a phone. They asked what kind to verify that it would work with their service and heppily signed me up for service and gave me a SIM card and sent me on my way. Once I got home, I called T-Mobile tech support and they walked me through setting up the phone for their TZones and all that fun stuff.

7. BlackWRX02

T-mobile is a lot more open-minded when it comes to that type of thing. They have strong roots in other countries where the cell market is totally different and lots of people use unlocked phones and such. I think thats why they're more willing to do something like that.

I'll activate an unlocked phone, but you have to bring it in, I wont just hand you a SIM card.

8. 20Deep

20Deep You never with Wenger

Why is it necessary to let them know about the IMEI number?

9. BlackWRX02

Well, assuming he doesn't have a phone number with cingular yet, they need an IMEI number for the account

10. 20Deep

That I understand, but when you switch phones why do you have to tell them the new IMEI? It seems to work fine without calling them but then again I know nothing of the process :dunno:

11. BlackWRX02

There are mixed ideas on that, actually. Some people say you don't need to, and I never have any time I change phones on either my work line or personal line. I have heard, however that if your IMEI does not match whats on your account that MMS messages have a hard time going through, if at all. Thats something thats just come to light in the past 2 or 3 months, as if Cingular disables it if the IMEI doesn't match. I'm not too sure if thats true or not though. I don't have any MMS problems, but some of my customers have and they didn't ahve the correct IMEI number in CARE

12. 20Deep

Cool. Thanks for the reply and I'm sure I speak for most here when I say that you are an asset to this forum. :wavey:

13. maczter

yeah. when i got my unlocked 6230, i just threw the SIM in it and changed the settings on my own and it worked fine. nobody at AT&T ever knew the difference. :dunno:

perhaps the best answer is, sign up for a GSM account, snag one of the free phones (you can always use it for back-up), then just swap the SIM card into your uber-cool unlocked non-Cingular phone when you get home. :dunno:

14. BlackWRX02

Thanks. Nice to know I can help. :bigthumb:

15. BlackWRX02

Thats good advice. A lot of reps won't activate an unlocked phone(not sure if we are really supposed to or not, but I do it for most, unless you're a dick :o ). Only deal with getting the free phone is it requires a longer contract. Just something to consider vs. just taking the phone in and trying to find a rep that will act. an unlocked phone.

16. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

you'd walk an activation b/c they have an unlocked phone?? :rolleyes:
    whats wrong with coam?

17. BlackWRX02

Hmm, lets see. You're an ass to me right off the bat (complain about your wait time or something) to the point that its either annoying or down right rude. I'm doing you a favor, considering we're not really supposed to act. unlocked phones from what we've been told. Not like you're the only one in the store wanting a new line, so yeah...see ya. Specially when I only get paid on like a 1yr contract. Or I might screw you and tell you I wont do it unless its a 2yr contract. I dont have time for assholes, there is just as much money in the next customer, maybe more.

Being nice will get you WAY further than anything else you could possibly do

18. maczter

good rule of thumb for life in general, especially for customers dealing with sales or support staff. :)

19. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

what kind of numbers is your store doing a month to be able to walk activations like that? an number is a number. you're saying there's always people in the store that want new lines?

20. BlackWRX02

With the exception of February(due to daytona 500, rolex, and bike week), our store has an average of over an hour wait.
    We're kinda busy :o