can I harm a motherboard by installing a potentially defective processor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fartmaster, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Fartmaster

Fartmaster Scamming the scammers FTW

Basically....what the title says.

I was building a pc and I had a problem with either the motherboard, processor, or vid card. Nothing happened when I did an initial startup. No beeps, nothing at all.

After working with the mb's tech support :mamoru: we determined it was either the mb or processor. I'm returning the mb, processor, and vid card, but I'm buying a new mb today from a local shop.

When I took out the processor, it seems to have no damage. :dunno: if it's not bad, then I don't want to send it back and wait...I have everything else ready to go.

If I install it on the new mb, and it's defective, will I harm the mb?

Sorry for a n00b question. I appreciate any help/suggestions :x:

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I guess it *could* hurt the MB . . . I'd probably still try it though :noes:

3. peterthesmart

peterthesmart New Member

I dont think it'd hurt the motherboard. I come across dead processors once in awhile, and they've never caused any problems for me. It just gets kind of annoying when you're all ready to build a machine, and the most important part doesnt work.

4. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

99% of the time it won't hurt it, but there are freak things that happen. It would be like a dead video card killing a mobo, it can happen, but probally not.