Can I Get Vag's Opinion on this Gift for my Girlfriends Birthday

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by ERabbit, Jun 7, 2008.

1. ERabbit

ERabbit OT Supporter

It is my girlfriends birthday on the 16th but i have to pick something up for her tomorrow or sunday because im working all day m,t,w and we leave for palm springs on thursday, which puts me in a predicament. I have a good friend who's cousin owns a jewelry store in beverly hills than can probably get me something nice for 400-500 but i dont know if i can make it out there tomorrow and i could on m,t,w (i work in beverly hills) but if i don't find something i like im screwed

/rant

so my girlfriend mentioned that she really liked smoky quartz and has seen some rings by David Yurman that are very nice

the one im looking at getting her is this one

From the Noblesse™ Collection, 18-karat yellow gold ring with faceted smoky quartz. Imported.
    [​IMG]

its 425 so ~500 with tax

but i'm not sure if i could find a much nicer ring at my friends jewelry store for the same price

anyway im just concerned with my time limit and finding something really special for her (she completely surprised me on my birthday and got me a watch i wouldn't have even expected, etc)

what does the vag think?

2. kyle1616

kyle1616 New Member

how long have you been dating

3. ERabbit

ERabbit OT Supporter

little over a year

4. ERabbit

ERabbit OT Supporter

that is one of my concerns, but she's not the kind of girl that needs a "one up" i just want to get her something nice because she spent like ~400 on the watch for my birthday (not trying to pricematch, but don't want to be cheap) and its her 21st so its kind of a big deal

5. ERabbit

ERabbit OT Supporter

i understand your concerns about the monetary aspect of it, and we have already talked about future gift exchanges, but the thing is
    1. were going on trip right before her birthday and were planning one later in the summer
    2. we have 2 or 3 concerts already set up (local venues for cheap)
    3. she has a nice purse, wallet, etc

i'm stuck because she doesn't want me to spend a lot on a gift, even with all of the stereotypes of newport beach etc, we are not those kinda people, we both enjoy each others company and are not into the whole materialistic aspect of things

but, because it is a significant birthday for her i really want to get her something that she will always remember

soo i am stuck

6. demosnat

demosnat New Member

you found a gift you think she'll like in the price range you're looking for. Go for it.

7. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Actually, give your buddy a call and ask him if he has anything similar for less? That seems expensive for qurtz

8. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Just, and I do mean just, posted this in another thread, but it applies.

I'm gonna go with something that I think could almost be a stock answer.

Doing something fun together is better than just giving her something.

Doing something is active, her just getting something is passive.

If you can't do something the day of her birthday, plan to do it the day after, or the day before.

9. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

i think it's a very pretty ring... if she likes it and it's in the price range you're comfortable with, who cares?

((still give your buddy a call and see if he has something similar for less though..))

10. DreadJockey

DreadJockey New Member

I tend to agree with this

11. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

:werd:

12. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

$400-$500 on a birthday gift for a girl you've been dating a little over a year?

:ugh: WTF? No one needs that expensive of a gift. Unless she hand-picked that ring you cant find her or plan for her a perfectly great and memorable gift that won't affect your wallet so much.

PS-that ring is hideous. I know she said she likes that stone, but god damn!

13. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I wouldn't even pay half that for that ring.. it's really not all that pretty IMO.. I'm kind of a frugal guy so I'd have a really hard time spending $500 on a girl I'd been dating for a year, for a single gift.

I have a hard time spending $500 on a gift for myself...

If you're set on getting her jewelery, what about a necklace with that stone in it? Would it be cheaper?

14. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I really like the ring

15. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

I think we're in the minority here haha

16. ERabbit

ERabbit OT Supporter

thanks for everyones advice, i gave a call to my buddy but they didn't have smoked quartz, i know some people don't like the ring, but girls are very different, she happens to love the stone me i could care less ha

schedule - i will be purchasing a flatscreen tv (most likely) sometime this summer, but that will take some saving

i never really buy myself gifts that are ~500 unless i really like or want something but its cool, i worked and saved money for her birthday for a reason

i went today and bought the ring, it was pretty nice in person but jesus i can't believe how expensive these things can get

thanks to everyone who voiced their opinions, i appreciate it
    :wiggle::wavey:

17. lazyass

lazyass New Member

i think it's an incredible ring. you have great taste. she's really lucky!!
    if you feel it, i mean giving something to someone, you'll never regret it. one of the coolest memories i have is giving an ovation guitar to a guy. i'm no longer with him, but it was worth every penny.
    xo

18. lazyass

lazyass New Member

jesus...life is fucking short! f the money. no girl or guy worth anything is gonna expect something more expensive every time there is an occasion.

19. lazyass

lazyass New Member

and sorry, that post wasn't meant to reply to yours.

20. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:mamoru: My bf still regrets getting his ex a $1000 ring :dunno: I don't blame him