Can I ever make significant gains just with calisthenics?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by danish elk, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danish elk

danish elk Guest

I have a bar in my apartment, do a lot of pullups, pushups, stair climbers, crunches, etc. I've only been working out for a month and a half now, was skinny as a rail beforehand (120 / 5'8), and have gained about 12-13 lbs of what appears to be muscle since. I'd like to say that I'm consistent with what I do, but the truth is that I just kind of work out every day however much I feel.

Is there any point to this, and can I continue on this path for a few more months? At this rate, I feel like I'll be about 140 to 150 by June or July, and while that's an encouraging goal for someone who doesn't even get to the gym, I'm not sure it's actually feasible.

:o

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

no. I've tried it.

Keep at it and add stuff like sandbag training and you might be able to get a little bigger with the right diet, however it's very impracticle. I've just started going to the gym because calisthenics, although they were good for my goals at the time, didn't really address maximal strength goals and appearance issues.

3. danish elk

danish elk Guest

Thanks, I will keep this in mind. I've slowly started doing more and more even at this point ... I initially was doing pullups, then pushups, etc.

To be honest I just want to look good for the beach :o Like I said before, I am very lean already so looking 'strong' doesn't take much since my BF is definitely < 10%

4. TZ

TZ Banned

Damn dude...run, dont walk to the gym. and then go eat a steak or five

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

pics? once you start seeing more buff/strong dudes you'll realize how skinny you really are, and you'll decide to lift weights. It even happened to ME! :o

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

why steak, why not mcdonalds? :mamoru:

7. TZ

TZ Banned

hah yeah i'd definitely hit mcdonalds after :wiggle:

8. danish elk

danish elk Guest

In the morning. I've been reading F&N for the last hour or so and just reading is sort of addictive. I guess the main thing holding me back is just ignorance, since I read the logs and I have no idea what any of the exercises are. I'd walk into the gym and not have a clue what the hell I'm doing or supposed to do.

I know I'm skinny and I don't even mind it, but looking bigger has gotten addictive for me and it's what keeps me working out at least on a daily basis now. I'm amazed that I've so easily put on 10+ lbs of muscle in just over a month just by doing such simple little workouts, regardless of how skinny I still might be. You're talking to a guy that essentially had so little muscle or fat that my chest actually went in, not out.

:hs:

9. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Everybody is at the gym for one of a few common goals. Either they want to get healthier, skinnier, or bigger. The guys who will talk shit and make fun of you aren't worth a damn anyway, so don't worry about them.

http://www.building-muscle101.com/weight-lifting-exercise.html

This place has a pretty decent "how to do it" part. Read the stickies, find a routine, and get to work.

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

it seems like no matter where i go in the city, everybody is more broly than me. Either in strength or size (usually body) dudes are lifting more than me and strutting around with their guns out, and my weak lanky ass is walking around amidst them. I've never been talked shit about or anything because I actually study the movements and do them right.... everybody's gotta get started somewhere, and for 99% of people I think it's as a weakling.

Personally I don't really care, I just keep my head down because I'd rather look at the floor and enjoy the meditative state that lifting puts me in rather than look up at the brolys and worry about if they think my legs are twigs.

go to exrx (dont know the link :o ) and find out some of the basic movements (dl, squat, bench, rows, etc). practice them at home with a broom stick or something, and read the noob stickies to find out what to do about diet, and what kind of training program you should use to build your base. if your concern is walking around looking ignorant, doing these things will help prevent that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.