Can I cut my headphone wires to make them shorter?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris87, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

:dunno:

I've got Sony MDR V300 headphones and the cord is ridiciously long. Does anyone see any problems occuring if i cut the wires to shorten them? Will my sound quality deteriorate in anyway? How would i seal the cut? Just some good ol' fashioned electrical tape?

Thanks

2. 04

04 Guest

UH NO. The wire is very thin. Reconnecting it will be a major pain in the ass, unless you are a magnificent solderer. Yeah, you will have to solder, that twist the wires and wrap with electrical tape thing wont work so great....

3. biomechanoid

biomechanoid Guest

zip-tie and coil it up a few times

4. Chris87

Would a professional sodier be able to do it? The length of this cord is unfucking real, and i mainly listen to music when i'm snowboarding or walking to/from school. Its a real big pain in the ass to have a bundle of cord that's 2x the size of my MD player in my pocket

5. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

6. poisonfist

poisonfist Guest

Buy a new plug for it and discard the original, that way you can have a seamless cord.

7. poisonfist

poisonfist Guest

8. Chris87

WTF does that mean? :confused:

And as for those plugs / end connectors - How do you actually connect it to the original cord?

9. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

In other words just wrap up the slack whenever your going snowboarding. Ghetto? maybe, but it's cheap and you won't risk ruining your headphones.

10. poisonfist

poisonfist Guest

You just cut the cable to your desired length, then strip the ends to solder the new plug on. Usually, the wires inside are red, white (sometimes black) and the shield. The red is the right channel and the white is the left channel and the shield is the common ground.

11. 04

04 Guest

If you are deadset on cutting the wire off, go the way poisonfist said. But for a beginner, it might be difficult, especially if you have never soldered before.