can i buy a phone on ebay...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by snigg, Feb 7, 2007.

1. snigg

snigg New Member

can i buy a blackjack or something similar on ebay and take it into cingular and have it activated? I have a phone plan with cingular currently and am interested in getting a smartphone, however im not looking to spend the $320 they want for the blackjack. It seems I can get one on ebay for $200 or so, so can i take that into cingular after i get it and have it set up with my current phone # and everything? thanks

2. CrazyGoo

CrazyGoo New Member

Yes, I have done that in the past.

They don't care about where the phone came from. Heck, they almost give them away for free just to get you to sign up for the service.

It's not the phone they make money on, it's the calling plan.

3. Dajamany

Dajamany noob

you shouldn't even have to take it into a store. If you already have a cingular phone and calling plan all you'll have to do is take your sim card outof your current phone and put it in the new phone. Your cell phone number is tied to that sim card, you can put that in any working cingular phone and it will work. If you're wanting to use all the smartphone data features (email, web browsing, etc) you will have to get an add on plan, but you can even do that over the phone. Make sure you buy a GSM(cingular, t-mobile) phone, if you buy a CDMA phone(sprint, verizon) you're shit out of luck.

4. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

As mentioned, you don't have to take it into Cingular to have it activated. Once you pop your SIM card into it, it should work with your number automatically. HOWEVER, unless you have a 3G SIM card, your previous SIM card will not work with the Blackjack and you will have to purchase a new SIM card, either from Cingular or some other source. So, in that case you will have to take it to Cingular. They have a machine that lets you transfer all #'s saved on your old SIM card to your new one. One last thing to think about, you won't be able to get insurance on the phone since it technically wasn't purchased through them. I went through a similar situation last month when my phone got stolen. I had no insurance at the time (big mistake!), and wanted to get it on this phone, but the lady told me I could not. She could have been making it up, but I don't think she was?

Anyway, I highly suggest the Blackjack. I LOVE it - it was my first smartphone, and I don't plan on ever going back to a non-smartphone.

5. snigg

snigg New Member

thanks for the help guys. one more question, can i do this with verizon as well? im gonna buy my g/f a motorola q and she has a verizon account, so can it be transfered to the q just as easy? thanks.

6. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

As longed as it's unlocked.

7. snigg

snigg New Member

thanks shoeprincess.

8. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

:wavey: You're welcome.