Can I buy a 8525 and not use the cingular internet service?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MattC, Feb 22, 2007.

1. MattC

MattC gotta love the prewar

Can I buy a 8525 and not get the cingular PDA service?

I'm planning on going back to school this summer and I was wanting to get another PDA to help stay organized with school, work and the like. I had just an ipaq pda in undergrad and loved it, so I figured the 8525 would be a good fit since it would be similar to my old pda plus have a phone also integrated in it.
    I do not however need the cingular internet service that you're "required" to have with the phone. I figured if I needed to connect to the internet for any reason I'll use the wifi. I don't even send text messages for that matter.

Is it possible to buy the phone off ebay and just not get that plan with the phone and not have any problems? The guy at the store tried to tell me that "internet is always on" and there's no way of knowing whether it's using the cingular service or the wifi....and if the wifi signal is to weak it automatically switches over to cingular at which point I"ll be charged out the ass for usage. (he quoted $10 every 30 seconds :rolleyes: ) With my old pda I know I had full control over the wifi, but I'm not so sure with cingular, seeing as they lock you out of stuff a lot of the time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  2. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

I bought a Blackjack, and the salesman tried to push the internet plan on me. I did not buy the phone for internte usage (even though it's supposed to be great for it!), and I declined. He warned me against it saying that pay-per-use is REALLY expensive. i still declined, and he gave up. So, it's possible, just hold your ground if they try to push you into it, and don't use the internet? haha

3. MattC

I tried the same with my salesman, but he wouldn't budge. He said his computer wouldn't let him sell me just the phone. :hs:

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

He's full of crap. I have had an 8125 without the internet plan and used it with wifi and I also used it normally for internet when I needed to. I don't see how the 8525 would be any different. Internet CAN be set to "always on" like a blackberry for mail pushing, but by default there is the option to turn on the wireless/internet only when you need it.

Matter of fact because of the need for text messaging, I am trading my new Razr for another 8125 this weekend. (I would have gotten an 8525 but no one wanted to do a partial trade, so 8125 it is)

5. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

:bowrofl:

No, you dont have to buy it, and no our computers will let you buy any damn thing you want with any or no features. Someone was just tryin' to get paid :mamoru:

You can buy w/o data. Good luck getting the rebate though. they'll tell you that you wont get the rebate. :noes:

just don't come crying when you thought you had been using wifi and were actually using EDGE/3G. I can't TELL you how many times I've seen that.

6. MattC

Is there no way to turn that off (like a hack to the registry), or call to have cingular totally stop the 3G service to the phone?

As long as I have the ability check the settings before I do anything, I don't really care. I'm pretty competent with a PDA. I"m not the normal tech-illiterate user that comes into cingular.

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Yes, just turn off the phone when you turn on the wireless and it won't be able to use the GPRS/3G.
    Another option is to grab a program called Phone Profiler. It allows you to set up multiple profiles with settings. I run 2, one for wireless and one for normal use.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

just pay for the internet... it's worth it.

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

media max + wap.cingular is my friend :o

10. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

:werd:

only way to go, really