can i bridge the amp with these speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by turbobuick420, Aug 17, 2008.

1. turbobuick420

turbobuick420 New Member

i have a four channel amp and i am going to run 2 6x9 infinity kappa 2 ohm speakers, they have some type of crossover or something with them. can i bridge the amp to run more power to the 2 speakers. i thought i read some where that its bad to bridge a 2 ohm speaker. any one know. these are the speakers i have. the amp is an older alpine 4 channel.
    http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/692.7i/detail.asp

2. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

im confused, it sounds like your trying to bridge the channels on the amplifier so instead of putting out power in 4 channels its putting out more power at only 2 channels, the problem is most amplifiers can only bridge to 4 ohms or higher resistance. So if u bridge ur amplifier to ur 2ohm speakers u might end up blowing the amp since its running at an impedance lower than its suppose to.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

hook them up left channel and right channel. you'll already be getting more power from the amp because you'll be running the channels at 2 ohms. if you try to bridge most 2 ch a/b style amps, it will damage them. by bridging, i am referring to using the left ch + (pos) and the right ch - (neg). I'm going to assume this is the same terminology you're using for "bridging."

4. turbobuick420

turbobuick420 New Member

ya thats what i thought. i might find some components for the other channel. thanks