Can I be a cage crew?

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by hacksaw_, Jul 23, 2008.

1. hacksaw_

hacksaw_ OT Supporter

I had my first lesson of BJJ today, and I had a whole lot of fun. And since I'm now paying $60 a fortnight for this gym, I figure it's best to keep up with it, and start a log to track progress.

There's a whole bunch (That means everything) of stuff I need to work on, being the smallest and least skilled guy in the entire gym :hs:.

So here's a little list of the stuff that I noticed:
    -Cardio. Jesus Christ, I couldn't be more unfit
    -Not sucking. I am 60 kilos of getting tired and lying on top of you.
    -Not getting flattened out, and not giving anyone too much room.

The people there were really great. We've got a purple and what I think is a high blue teaching, and they were really helpful and answered all my questions. All in all it was great fun, and I cant wait to go back. If anyone has any advice they'd like to give to a newbie, I'd love to hear it,so heap it all on me. I'll try and keep this updated as often as possible, and hopefully I'll see abit of improvement :)

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Just stick with it, and remember "position before submission".

3. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Move your body as mechanically as possible while rolling, especially during an escape. If you're doing techniques correctly, they won't require a lot of effort. This will make you learn what works (and how it works) and what doesn't a lot faster, and will keep your higher level training partners happy.

4. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

welcome to the cage :bigthumb:

dont worry about your conditioning, it will get better fast.

and ive always found it to be beneficial to work with a bigger partner, forces you to be more precise as you cant muscle your way through something.

5. hacksaw_

hacksaw_ OT Supporter

Well I think it's a good time for an update :)

I've been going consistently for about 2 weeks now, missing one class on Monday. It's good fun, and since my body is starting to get used to the workouts I'm going to try and start taking the MT class in the morning.

The thing that I'm going to try to work on the most this week is not leaving my limbs out. Theres not really much I can do to stop anyone half good from getting position on me, but I've been pretty much giving them arms and legs to work with and that really needs to stop.

One of the nicer things about signing up to this gym is finding people I can actually talk about MMA with. It's nice meeting people who actually know who Fedor is, and I can shoot the shit with about upcoming events.

I'm really digging this, and I'll try and keep you all posted about how I'm going.

6. hacksaw_

hacksaw_ OT Supporter

and thanks for all the advice, it's all good and i'll try to be remembering it when I'm rollin' in da future.

If you've got anymore, feel free to heap it on me. I'm an open book and I'd love to hear it all.

7. hacksaw_

hacksaw_ OT Supporter

Well after not posting for 3 months, I got my first tip today. Good feeling, still suck though. Just good to know I'm making abit of progress, and should help motivate me to come more often, and try and keep in shape. McAffee antivirus updater just popped up and made me shit myself.

The best thing I've gotten out of training, (besides the sweet sweet feel of my friends playing my arm like a fucking bongo) is knowing whats going on on the ground watching MMA. Before it was waiting for a good punch or sub to land, now I pay alot more attention to the smaller technical aspects of grapping.

And it really is the only sport I've ever enjoyed watching, or participating in, so I think I'll be keeping at it for awhile :bigthumb: