MIL CAN Capt re-deploying to Afghanistan after losing his leg

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Off, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Off

Off Memento Mori

Couldn't find a good article in English, so the translation is by yours truly.

[​IMG]

Ian Bussieres
    Le Soleil

(Quebec) If people still doubt the courage and determination of Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan, they certainly haven't met Captain Simon Mailloux. Less than two years after losing his left leg to an IED, he is preparing to deploy to Afghanistan once again to finish the work he started.

"I always thought I had a place [in the field] because our mission there isn't complete. There are still many Quebecois [meaning the mostly french Vandoo battle group currently deployed] over there going through tough times, and its my duty to go back there if I still can'' explained the Captain in a Tuesday interview with Le Soleil.

According to Lieutenant (Navy) Michelle Tremblay, who will be deploying to Afghanistan alongside him, the Captain will be the first Canadian soldier to return to a warzone after being amputated. "Many other soldiers have returned to duty after an amputation, the most famous being Georges Vanier who filled staff positions in Canada after losing a leg in World War 1, but I'll be the first going back to the front. Technological advances now permit it'' says the [big man] whose left leg was amputated below the knee. He now walks with the help of a prosthetic leg.

It was on the 16th of November, 2007, while Simon Mailloux was participating in a mission to open an ANP station, that his vehicle struck an IED 15 minutes after leaving FOB Ma'sum Ghar, 40 km west of Kandahar city.

Corporal N.R. Beauchamp of Pont-Rouge, Private M Levesque Jr of Riviere-Rouge, and their Afghan interpreter were killed in the explosion while then Lieutenant Mailloux and two other soldiers were seriously injured.

Going back

"After the explosion, the Major was trying to explain to me what had happened, and, right then, I asked him if I would have a chance to go back to Afghanistan" remembers the Captain. "At that point, I didnt know about my injuries, I thought I'd be ready to go back in less than a week."

In addition to losing his left leg, he broke his jaw, fractured his right tibia and had many shrapnel wounds. All in all he needed 4 surgeries.

He healed quickly, and by February 08, was back to work one day a week filling an administrative position. Five months later, he became an aide-de-camps to Governor-General Michaelle Jean. Notable fact, Georges Vanier filled this same position for GG Julian Hedworth George Byng before being nominated for the position himself, 38 years later.

Captain Mailloux identifies two major steps in his rehabilitation "first you have to learn to do all the normal stuff like walking and showering and so on"

"The next step is learning to be a soldier again: putting your boots back on, walking in the heat, meeting the physical standards of the army" he says.

With great pride he states that he did not receive any special treatment during PT testing. "We owe it to ourselves. If my buddy is in the trench with me, he has to be able to count on me, he has to know I can do the job."

With his prosthetic leg, he marched 13k in two hours, 22 minutes with a 60lb load, carried a fellow soldier 100m and dug a trench in less than 6 minutes, thereby completing the Battle Fitness Test. He ran the 5k Army Run in 33 minutes.

"I know I'm not at the same physical level as I was during my first deployment. I did the 13k a lot faster then, but I know that I can still respond to the Army's physical demands and that I can still do the job expected of me."

Capt Mailloux being promoted by Governor General Michaelle Jean
    [​IMG]

Godspeed, Sir. A wonderful example to set :bigthumb:

Original (french) link
    http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil...imon-mailloux-repart-pour-le-front-afghan.php

2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

lol @ French

3. Off

Off Memento Mori

lol

4. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

I am very confused and disturbed at how this is funny...

5. TheFireGuy

TheFireGuy jamphat / Nemo #YOTMD OT Supporter

Idiots, just shrug em off.

6. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

It's not. I'm poking fun directly @ Off for being a french speaker. I'm not saying anything other than that.