Can anything save this?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by e r y k, May 8, 2006.

1. e r y k

e r y k New Member

warning... pictures below may cause you professional detailers to barf!

hello,

detailing newb here... i got this car last year with these marks on them... i never gave it a whole detail before. just wash, the occasional polish, but i always wax it after.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

in the first picture, those scratches are found over various locations of the car... ive read the FAQ but im still not sure the exact steps i should take.

in the second picture, my hood seems to have these white STD paint cracks in them... i know theres no exact way to fully cure this and restore without a paintjob, but i did notice that after waxing, the obviousness of the cracks decreased. is there anything else i can do?

in the last picture, i have some oxidation going on on my front bumper... just like before, after some meguiars polish and wax, the obviousness of the oxidation goes away... but its never permanent

----

im thinking i would be better off with an orbital thing because i cant tackle this perfectly with my hands. am i correct?

thanks

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The cracks cannot be fixed without a respray but the scratches can be made to look a lot less noticable with proper polishing.

Yes, better off with an orbital like the PC. I'd suggest Optimum Compound and a cutting pad to start, then Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze with a polishing pad. Normally I'd go with Optimum Polish instead of #80 but you are going to need the light filling properties of #80 to help fill the scratches you can't completely remove.

3. e r y k

e r y k New Member

it seems like this optimum stuff is only available online?

also, after the compound and meguiars 80, would you recommend a klasse to seal it all off?

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

There are a few local Optimum distributors but not many.

I'd go with a carnauba instead due to more filling potential. Since you can't make the paint look perfect with polishing, using products that fill a bit will make a noticable improvement. Sealants like Klasse tend to accentuate defects not hide them.

5. e r y k

e r y k New Member

also, before ANY of this, would it be a good idea to claybar the car?

is meguiars 80 easily found at auto stores?