MMA Can anyone translate Brazilian? *Spoliers*

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Drummer161616, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Drummer161616

Drummer161616 New Member

I would kill to hear what Silva's corner was telling him between rounds. I can't imagine his corner men were very proud of his actions. I have a feeling his translator/handler is being slightly less than truthful in his translations.

2. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

I've always had a sneaky suspicion that Ed Soares (his manager translates for him) isn't always being truthful when translating to/from him

3. Loincloth

Loincloth New Member

:werd: especially when Silva rambles on for like 2 mins and Soares' translation is something stupid like "I trained really hard for this fight, and had a good camp. Thank you fans for coming out" :ugh:

4. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

After his fight with Leites what Soares "translated" was different from what Anderson really said; Hillary translated otherwise if I remember correctly.

5. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

i am starting to believe sonnen when he says anderson can speak english fine without sorres

6. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

We have already heard him speak english, theres no way he cant do a fucking interview. As much as he has travled around the world, its retarded to actually think he cant speak english.

7. Muricane

Muricane Active Member

8. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

I dunno, but I bet someone can translate Portuguese.

9. .Tim

.Tim New Member

10. JoeyGladstone

JoeyGladstone New Member

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=4281

11/04/10 - Anderson facing backlash from Brazilian fans for Maia slurs

Anderson Silva is facing a backlash from fans in his native Brazil after ringside microphones for the UFC 112 broadcast of his fight with Demian Maia apparently picked up Silva taunting his opponent in Portuguese, using terms which are considered very offensive in Brazil.

Portuguese-language MMA forums have been abuzz with discussion over the insults Silva levelled at Maia at points in the fight. The end of the second round is when he is said to have been most offensive, allegedly telling Maia "Bate na minha cara playboy" (“Come on, hit me in the face playboy.")

Odd as it sounds, ‘playboy’ is a serious insult in Brazil when levelled at certain targets. The stark class and economic divides in Brazil make for a wide gulf in status between the rich and poor. In Brazilian terms, a playboy is a hedonist rich kid, the product of a pampered upbringing who cares little for the poor and knows nothing of real life.

Anderson is also said to have cried out "Cade o Jiu-Jitsu?" ("Where is your Jiu-Jitsu?”) as Maia failed to get him to the floor, and also told him “Get up off your ass and get hit some more” when Maia dropped to his back looking to play guard.

According to the general tone on the major Brazilian MMA forums right now, Anderson has surprised and upset many of his fans with his comments. Maia told Fighters Only yesterday that Anderson had sworn at him during the fight but declined to go into detail about what was said.

That was a sporting and honourable thing for Maia to do but fans have already picked up on the comments are spreading them around the forums. So far this particular backlash has been confined to Brazilian fans but a poster named Gomes on Portal do Vale Tudo summed the feeling up:

“Wow, the guy went mad. American are usually super socially-conscious with this kind of discrimination, when they discover what he said, heads will fly. This guy has lost all notion of what you can do in a fight. This type of social/personal insult is the equivalent of ‘Iron’ Mike Tyson saying "I'll fuck until you love me, bitch!"

11. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Well this should get interesting. :noes:

12. Toodles

Toodles You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the w OT Supporter

all this because Maia made a joke about him grabbing one of his "8" legs :ugh:

i wonder how he feels about Sonnen's comments :bowrofl:

13. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

Isn't there rules against swearing at your opponent while fighting? Personally I think it's a stupid rule, but will have no problem is that jackass gets punished by it. :bigthumb:

14. Bragasaurus

Bragasaurus New Member

During the postfight interview he was reacting when the questions were asked in english, then responding in portuguese. i think he understands english and can manage in a conversation, but situations like those it could just be a comfort issue with the language especially in front of large crowds.

15. friedrice

friedrice New Member

HAHA I'll fuck until you love me, bitch! pure awesomeness!

16. phonics

phonics No good sir, I'm on the level. OT Supporter

baww we are fighting but he said nasty things to me baww

17. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Yeah, you're fighting not talking. People aren't buying tickets and ppvs to see a clown running his mouth. Let's not even get into sportsmanship and representing the org in a new market :ugh:

18. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

This isnt the WWE, run your mouth before or after the fight, say what you need to say, but when the fight starts stfu and fight. Dont dance around and act like a faggot. And when you're the champion and you are there to put on a fight to help spread your company to another country and put on a good show and you act like a bitch, it says a lot abotu your character. its bad enough that he did it during a PPV, but to do it the first time in a new country where Dana is obviously trying to get shit going is just stupid.

19. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Diaz bros do it, its awesome. Anderson does it, its offensive

20. .Tim

.Tim New Member

I don't recall ever seeing the Diaz brothers avoid fighting.

21. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

I hate the Diaz brothers and the shit they do isnt half as bad as the shit we saw saturday.

22. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

after all that shit talking and then he gets down on his knes and apologizes to Maia? fuck off :madfawk:

23. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

I love when fighters do that shit :rofl:

24. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Diaz Bro go balls out when fighting.

25. Music Nazi

Music Nazi Guest

Soares' and Silva's relationship is creepy. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they have a gay relationship.

Clearly Soares is doing more PR work than translating with these interviews.