can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a mac vs a gateway?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dirtydave009, Jan 20, 2006.

1. dirtydave009

dirtydave009 Guest

i currently have a gateway 838gm, and ive been reading all the threads in this forum, im thinkin of getting a mac now. can anyone help with the pros and cons of switching?

thanks, im somewhat pc stupid.lol.

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Honestly, from my experience, the only thing you'll really miss out on (at the moment) is the selection of games. Aside from that, there isn't a program on the PC that doesn't have a similar one available for a Mac. Most of which can be found free at www.versiontracker.com

Out of the box you'll get:
    - Audio player/CD ripper (iTunes
    - DVD authoring software (iDVD)
    - Movie editing software (iMovie)
    - Music composition (GarageBand)
    - Photo manipulation/organizer (iPhoto)

Plus lots of helpful widgets and other things. Things that are actually useful (not bloatware) and not just tossed in like a grab-bag selection of software when you buy a pre-built system. And all the software included is full-version stuff that doesn't nag you to upgrade or expire (actually, I think Macs come with a trial of iWork now).

The only walls you may hit are trying to do things associated with illegal software. Weird compression formats or trying to burn Dreamcast games. :)

3. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Oh, and now that I'm at work on a PC I am reminded of how much better Macs handle memory & resources.

Nothing like Illustrator just flat-out closing w/out a message. Or clicking the 'X' to close a program and instead get an "illegal error" and the program has to debug before going away.

4. inamorata

inamorata New Member

mac>pc

stfulol

5. thezak

thezak New Member

just get a mac, you wont regret it.

6. TNFlyBoy

TNFlyBoy F =/= ma?? wtf??

i just switched over a couple of months ago and an i can attest to what skoles has said, everything seems to just fit together better, probably because a lot of it is made by the same company. and something he didn't add, but to some people it might matter, is that it just looks better, everythig about it is more visually appealing than an old boring pc tower and monitor. the biggest comment i get when people see my 20" iMac (other than expose is awesome) is "that's it? where's the computer?" and they're impressed with the overall look of the device.

not that looks should be a reason to buy a machine but when they obviously spend some time on that it leads me, at least, to believe that a lot of time has been spent on what's inside also.

7. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

I switched from pc to mac recently as well (I have a mac mini). I still use my pc for gaming, but that's it. I LOVE my mac. People ask me why I like it so much and I say "because it works". I haven't run into a situation where I couldn't find software to do something I used to on a PC (except Skype). Plus, I can find most of it for free and obtain it LEGALLY.

Most PC users that say "macs suck" only say that because they havent used them or havent had much experience with them. I know that because I used to say that too. Get the mac, you won't regret it.

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

because gateway is heading out the door and macs are moving up the ladder.

you won't regret the decision...trust me.

http://www.apple.com/switch

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've been a pc owner for years now. when i was getting my networking degree in college, we only used pcs...so i figured, why would i need a mac?

i used to have a first generation imac (remember that all in one with the crt screen? 233 mhz) i bought it off ebay a few years ago and i loved tinkering around with it, but i never really used it for anything, i just liked how it looked and i enjoyed the simplicity of the system (os 9 at that time). i was also messing with linux because i wanted to see what lese was out there. i totally regret selling my imac back on ebay (i actually made money on it, the guy who bought it was a collector and really appreciated it)

since then, i've been doing repair work on the side, i get maybe 10 clients a month (friends, family, and referals). i've only had to repair 1 mac ever and all i needed to do was copy some files to harddrive to save them, then format the main drive and reinstall the system, big whoop.

i am going to buy a mac mini once they release them with intel chips. i love using my friend's powermac g4, even though 1 ghz isn't super fast and is outdated now, it still runs great and never gave any problems.

10. dirtydave009

dirtydave009 Guest

thanks to all who have offered up info for me, i think i may get me one next week, i just bought the gateway, but hell, why not have two..

yeah i think i will. ill let you all know what happens once i get the hang of it.

thnkx again all.

11. Furner

Furner New Member

if you buy a gateway...well, you will have a gateway! is that enough reason to buy a mac?

12. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

i tihnk most PC people that say they hate macs are people that play games and have no life.

totally serious. I've never seen a grown man or anything like that say they hate macs, only 14-28ish people who game.

Next time someone says why, ask them.

13. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

you wont regret it.

14. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

i just switched from a pc laptop to an ibook, and my 999 dollar ibook handles photoshop, itunes, internet, and instant messenger better than my old 1500 dollar HP.

15. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Thats the other thing I've been thinking about recently.

People always bash the prices of Macs.

Look an the new intel iMacs. Build me a PC that can run as fast as the dual core intel macs, and has a 17inch nice display, and comes with that much ram and HD space, and has a optical mouse and keyboard.

It evens out. The current iBook and Imac prices arnt rediculious.

Not to mention the refurbished deals. I'm cosidering a 12 inch powerbook and then just buying an iCurve and a LCD and running dual monitors at home. There is a pretty well off 12inch Powerbook for 1099, and for 100 more u can have a super drive.