A&P Can anyone tell me model numbers of any cameras with interval timers?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by nbiggershaft, Nov 23, 2007.

1. nbiggershaft

nbiggershaft New Member

Cameras with a timer that triggers pictures to taken every couple seconds for several minutes.

2. kristin

kristin my dog > *

I use the Canon program to do that with my XTi, but it has to be hooked up to the computer

3. screaminginside

screaminginside New Member

The Nikon D200 has a built in intervelometer. It works great with one limitation, it can only take a maximum of 999 images. If you are running a time lapse that spans a longer time you can eat through that pretty quickly. Nikon does make a 10-pin remote that can run endlessly. I use the remote so i can let the camera run on a/c power with an 8 gig card for days.

Both Nikon and Canon have software that can remotely operate the camera via usb. The last i looked Canons was free and packaged with purchased cameras, were as the Nikon camera control software was around $60. It has been a while since i priced out the software so please don't get on my case about that. I found that this option is a little less reliable than the remote. The usb connection, in my experience, can drop out during long time lapses. This could be a hardware issue on my part but it has happened while using both pc's and macs of various quality.

There is an intervelometer on the market called the pclix remote available at www.pclix.com. I have never used one but they seem to work on a large variety of cameras. Can anyone provide feedback on the Pclix product?

4. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

hmm didnt know this was a feature of the d200 (my manual got lost a week after buying it)

how do I enable this?

5. screaminginside

Go into your SHOOTING MENU and highlight Intvl timer shooting press the multi selector to the right. Then all you have to do is set your interval time and number of desired shots (1-999). Scan down to Start and your off and running.

6. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

Best n00b ever.

7. screaminginside

Thanks!!!

8. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

In for something similar for my 30D :x:

9. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

:cool:

10. screaminginside

Canon makes an invervelometer remote as well, the TC-80N3 Timer (around $130), and the 30D has support for that. I have never used this remote so i don't know about its function or reliability but i would assume it is similar to the Nikon which i am very pleased with. Also look at your packaged driver and software cd's you might have the camera control software to drive the camera via usb.

The Nikon intervelometer remote is the MC-36 Multi function remote (Also around $130), this works on any Nikon with 10pin remote support.

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Why would this be useful?

I have the IR remote for mine to take pics on command, but why every 5 seconds for 5 minutes? whats the point?

edit: well i guess it depends on what your taking pictures of... nvm

12. screaminginside

I use mine to shoot time lapse video. If you shoot one image every 30 seconds for a couple of days and you play back those frames at 24 frames per second you have really high quality Time Lapse. Of course your interval and all settings vary based on your subject but this is for example.

Since even the highest consumer HD video is 1080x1920pxl at 72DPI every image coming off a DSLR is in most cases significantly higher than that. With a DSLR you can capture images that could be turned into 2k or 4k cinema quality video formats and the cost is fractions of what an equivalent cinema camera would be even for a day rate rental.

Once you have the image sequences you will need software to render them in to the video format that you want. I use Adobe After Effects to render mine into the formats that i use. Quicktime Pro can do this as well but there is often scaling issues when conforming to video standard formats.

13. camptrol

camptrol .

If you are looking for something cheaper. Most of the non-base model Nikon point and shoots have a time lapse feature. You can either do it where it takes a full-megapixel picture or it will add a frame of video at each interval.