SRS Can anyone relate to this?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nmt6789, Apr 14, 2006.

1. nmt6789

nmt6789 Guest

Im 16 and I have a problem. My brother Has CP and it really embarassing to have people over because he cant act normal and it is starting to get me really frustrated. Lately I have just been staring at my computer and doing nothing on the weekends.

Another thing is I have a bunch of girlfriends but I am too afraid to ask one to hang out because of my brother..... What do I do?

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Accept your brother for who he is and be proud of him.
    If someone doesn't want to hang out with you because your brother has CP, do you really want to hang out with them?

3. MudFlap

MudFlap Guest

:ugh: There is millions of other palces u can hang out.

Jeeez you need to think before you open your mouth :slap:

4. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

:werd:

If you're ashamed of your brother that's not cool. Understandable, but you're adding even more stress to teh situation and if htese people really want to be your friend and care about you, then they'll understand about your brother.

5. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

I would rather hang out with your brother than you.

6. nmt6789

nmt6789 Guest

Ok, hang out with a 23 year old kid who listens to childrens music all day.

7. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Better that than you who speaks like a child.

8. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

thats fucked up. you love your brother its not his fault he was born with a problem. what is cp?

i have a cousain with autisim and i still am nice to him and i dont ignore him. i know its hard but u should be nice to him and if u want go hang out elsewhere

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Kind reminder for everyone to stay nice in here, obviously thread starter is posting this as a 'problem' , its very easy to say that the person should just invite friends despite the brother having cerebral palsy, but his behaviour could be very irratic,embarassing and unpredictable and might be making the persons friends feel very uncomfortable, and giving the thread starter having a feeling of being 'imprisoned' in their own home.

Therefore what i think is the most important thing is that you 'inform' your friends, about your brothers behaviour saying something like, yeah you can come over to my place, but please take in aspect that my brother has a mental disease, and he can act irregular so if that isn't a problem you can come over to my house.

Its nice if you would before hand warn your friends about the situation, although like others said you should not be ashamed of your brother and who he is.

10. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

let me tell u something, if girls see how nice you are to your brother they will like you.

11. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

dot.

you dont have to hang out at home... how old are you? also if you do invite them over tell them before hand. Be nice and caring to your brother, girls will like that and see you as a nice sensative brother.

this could be a good thing.

12. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

if your 16.. hang out at the movies? go out to eat and chill w/ ppl.. than go to others ppl's houses.. once u get to be good friends you can tell ppl they can hang otu with you and just make them aware of your bro's problem..so they aren't "shocked" or anything...

no biggie imo

13. chickentendah

chickentendah New Member

:werd:

nmt6789, have you seen Rain Man w/ tom cruise? It's understandable for someone in your position to get frustrated, but he's still family....

also think Something about Mary w/ Ben Stiller.....

14. nmt6789

nmt6789 Guest

Yea, So I guess I just have to accept it and see rain man.....

15. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

Accept it and invite hte chicks over to watch rain man wiht you and your brother. :)

But seriously, people, not just girls, will think that it's really sweet of you to be bending over backwards to accomadate and help out your brother. Yea, not everyone will be so welcoming to hanging out at your place, but you don't need them. Situations like yours make it very clear as to who your real friends really are and what kind of people the rest of your peers are.

16. Moonwalker

Moonwalker fagulous

haha :stupid:

17. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

I agree with everyone else, either hang out somewhere else or tell people about your brother before they come over. Does he do any other "weird" thing besides listen to childrens music? As long as he isn't extremely rude or obnoxious then I think most people would understand.

18. Hootahz314

Hootahz314 I have daddy issues

You're 16. Even though I don't have any sort of handicaps such as CP in my family I understand how you feel. Not only does he live life every day trying to accomplish things that seem so easy to anyone else and it can be frustrating for anyone involved but he's your older brother and he's supposed to be someone you can turn to, not the other way around. Plus you think everyone will talk so you feel you cannot have any sort of social life. How wrong you are! He's your family hun, that will never, ever change. Your high school friends will come and go, but he's always going to be there and you have the opportunity to be someone extraordinary in his life. Being ashamed or whatever of his disability is not something you want him to see. Even if he doesn't understand, you do.

Your brother is not stopping you from having a filled social calendar, you are acting as your own worst enemy here by being so paranoid or upset at his shortcomings. Honestly speaking though, you cannot be mad at someone that doesn't even know his way of life isn't what society considers normal and I'm sure if he had the choice to be born without the added daily challenges, he would.

Watching a few movies isn't going to hold a secret key in how to be around him, only experience will do that. Invite your friends over and have fun, if he wants to join in once in awhile let him. What is the absolute worst he can do? You'd be surprised at how accepting people can be anyway. Hope this makes some sort of sense and you get something out of it. He's your brother first and foremost, you owe him the respect and dignity he deserves, even if he doesn't know how do the same for you.

19. Replicant

Replicant New Member

anyone who would think down on your for your bro having CP is a bastard son of a bitch.

20. Kirbys Autumn

Kirbys Autumn Mrs. Kirby McSpic

You should accept it. He's your brother and you should love him no matter what, he's family. If your friends can't accept him then you 're probably friends with the wrong people anyway. And nobody has to go to your house. You're 16 yrs. old, you're still young, you can GO OUT and have fun. Watch a movie, go to the park...Staying home isn't much fun anyways :p