A&P Can anyone recommend a good digital SLR?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by therealdeal, Apr 16, 2006.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I know a lot of you will have your preferences, I just wanted to hear your opinion on what digital SLR (with lens kit I guess) you would get assuming you could spend between about $500-$1000. Something like the Nikon D50 or Canon Rebel XT would be in the right price range.

Ideally, it would have a decent zoon feature, shutter speed adjustability so I could take good shots of sports action. It also needs to be relatively simple. I love to experiment with cameras in terms of ISO, light balance, shutter speed etc., my family usually just wants to point and click. More auto features the better.

I read through some of the links provided in the noob thread, especially photo.net and JColeman's but basically I'm still retarted when it comes to choosing an actual camera, so if you guys could give your preferences I'd appreciate it.

ibNikon vs. Canon

2. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

an SLR may be too much for your family if this is gonna be a family cam and they just want point and shoot.

I have the Canon A620 which is a nice balance between point and shoot and manual features. It takes video too.

I am however jonesing for an SLR....but i dont think i will sell the A620.... its just too convient to take with me anywhere.

3. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

doesn't sound like you need anything more than a mid range point and shoot camera. Maybe a Canon S2 IS?

4. 30d :big grin:

edit: :o didn't see your price range. :uh: Dell has deals, I've seen deals where the 30d with kit lens goes for like $1,200. That's only $200 over your budget. Not bad :bigthumb:

5. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

See I used to have a Fujifilm 4700 zoom and I was just overall dissapointed with the results of trying to take pictures of things at fast action, especially in low light levels. Basically anything you took a picture of had to be nearly still.

Do you think the S2 IS would be a big step up?

6. killer4605

killer4605 New Member

XT or d50 if you want to go with an SLR. Use the rest of your budget on a good lens.

But from your OP it looks like you'd be better off with a point and shoot.

7. Blair

Blair New Member

D70s

8. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

werd nga

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

p&s won't get those fast action shots he wants to get. if thats the case, I suggest Nikon d50/d70s or Canon XT. You need to decide which one feels better in your hand...the XT is too small IMO and felt cheap. plus I had access to nikon mount lenses. SOLD!

10. Blair

Blair New Member

that is what sold me on the D70s. i would have to get a grip extension on the XT for it to feel alright. my pinkie did not like just chillin in midair.

11. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

12. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

oh god, please don't listen to that idiot..ken rockwell is the biggest nikon sackrider ever..he makes true nikon enthusiast mad by spreading biased informaiton..I mean who else reviews cameras and lenses without ever touching them. I you want a good honest source of information from the nikon camp, go with Thom Hogan http://bythom.com/ now THAT's a guy that knows what he is talking about.