Can anyone recmmend a PCI/PCIe WiFI card?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bowrofl, Feb 14, 2010.

1. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Hi all. I've been having problems with my Linksys WMP300N (Draft N) PCI Wireless Adapter. Constantly getting sound pops and clicks when audio is being played (whether mp3, or game, or internet video) and the source seems to be the PCI WiFi Card:

I used this prograp DPC Latency Checker to see if anything was happening and lo and behold, I'm getting crazy latency ONLY when my WiFi card is enabled.

Wireless On
    [​IMG]

Wireless Off
    [​IMG]

I've searched the internets, and there seems to be no solution other than replacing the card :O So I'd like to go out tomorrow and pick up a replacement. So can anyone suggest one? :hs: I'd rather not go with Linksys again after seeing how they basically ignored customers with this issue (and after searching there are quite a few of them). Any D-Link wifi adapters good? I saw they have a PCIexpress WiFi adapter, that could be good for low latency.

Cliffs: Linksys WiFi Adapter sucks and causes constant sound artifacts, no physical way to get wired internet, need new wifi adapter, suggestions please!

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Bump... no suggestions? What, all you lucky SOBs have wired internet or something? :wtc:

I was looking at D-Link's DWA 552 (PCI) and DWA 556 (PCIexpress)... anyone hear anything good about them? They seem to have good reviews but I'd rather hear someone's first hand experience. :o. Oh and I'm Win7 x64 if that matters (which it seems to as some cards work fine in Vista x32 but not at all in 7 x64)

3. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Generally speaking, I would avoid Dlink and Linksys, since they seem to have poor quality control. I'm always wired in unless I have a laptop, so I can't really help with recommendations. :-/

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:o Yeah I just looked at D-Link's forums for the card I was interested in and people seem to be having the same issues with Windows 7 x64 (Wireless drivers causing PCI Port Latency causing Sound Pops/Cracks) that Linksys does. I didn't realize it would be so hard to find a RELIABLE wireless-N adapter... but there isn't a way for me to get wired from the room my desktop is in :wtc:

5. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Yeah, that sucks something awful. I hate having to deal with wireless, and it doesn't help that lots of wireless adapters are, at best, unreliable.

6. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

7. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:bowdown: Works perfectly! No more latency! Was only $29.99! Same signal strength & speed as old Linksys wifi adapter! Anyone in the market for a new WiFi adapter, I'd recommend this card (ASUS PCE N13) anyone in the market for a PCIe WiFi card that works with W7 x64 out of the box.

8. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Asus makes some quality stuff, but to be fair, lots of companies are still trying to make their products fully compatible.