Can anyone identify whats going on with my comp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sock, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Sock

Sock New Member

The school tech guys are idiots and told me my hard drive got burned out and Im way too poor to pay for repairs. Unfortunately I cant seem to figure out what is wrong with it so I can learn how to fix it myself.

Anyways, my computer rebooted yesterday to update windows and when it came back on programs trudged and the task bar was nonexistent. After changing insignificant taskbar settings, it came back but doesnt really do much. If i minimize a program it doesnt minimize to the taskbar, it just kind of disappears. I can copy and cut all I want but my paste has been disabled. I cant drag and drop anything, making backing up my files a bitch and a half. Norton antivirus (I know, its awful) has been deactivated and there is apparently and audio/visual configuration problem that disables videos or music. Housecall hasnt picked up anything, nor has Adaware Pro, Seek and Destroy, Spy Catcher or Spyware Blaster and HiJack This and various sysinternals have come up showing nothing out of the ordinary. Every process is associated with a clean company and all the DLLs have come up clean. Plus this post has been typing in reverse on and off.

Any help in even identifying the problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I don't think the Windows updates could have messed up anything, but you can remove the latest ones installed from add/remove in control panel.

IMO, it sounds like a great time for a format. It will be much easier than trying to figure out what's wrong.

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Something got corrupted for some unknown reason.
    Without having the computer in front of me I can't really diagnose it.
    I can offer theories though.

Say your hard drive IS going bad. Windows does an update, it reboots, the hard drive finally gives up the goose during the windows update process and you can have real problems.

You could also be looking at memory problems.

START -> RUN
    type: CHECKDSK /F

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

Since this is your boot drive you are going to have to answer "Y" to the question if you want to run CHKDSK next time windows starts.

Here is what it is going to do:
    It is going to look at your hard drive sector by sector, byte by byte and determine if there are any bad sectors. Depending on factors like the size of the disk and how fast the drive it it could take hours. When the program finds a problem it takes all the information that was in the bad section, moves it to a new section that was previously reserved and then marks that bad section as to not be written or read to ever again.

Once it does this you will reboot your PC again back into windows.
    I am going to venture a guess and say none of your window problems are fixed.
    I suggest you try to do a restore to a restore point before the windows update and then try the update again.
    If this doesn't work you are left with little choice but to reformat and reinstall.
    There is NO reason you can't do a backup of important stuff before you do the reformat.

Having said all that....
    My experience is like this. This is a wonderful way to extend the life of a hard drive. In cases where I have moved the drive from the OS drive to a simple storage drive the drive has lasted for months and years afterwards. But OS drives almost always fail on me again within a few months. I suggest you use this as a tool to purchase yourself time. Save up for a new drive and replace that drive ASAP.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

5. Sock

Sock New Member

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Ill probably get on it this weekend. And much appreciated for the drive recommendation. Even my broke ass can afford that.

6. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

* backup
    * re-format

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've seen Windows Updates fuck up the Registry before. No good reason; just install the update, reboot, and the machine never works again. It sounds like your computer has a mild case of that.

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Before buying a new drive I think I may try reformatting and see where that gets you. Just my .02.