Can anyone help me sign into MSN Messanger?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L, Jul 22, 2004.

1. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L I live in an igloo

Alright, I usually leave msn messanger on 24/7 and just toss my status into away mode when I'm not around. This morning I woke up and msn was signed out. After clicking "sign in", the "signing in" status appears and then it just goes right back to the msn login screen.

Usually if there's a problem, a new window will open saying "blah blah service down" or "your connection isn't working" etc. etc. This time its nothing, it just boots me back to the messanger login screen.

I went to the other computer in the house, clicked sign-in, and it signed in no problem. Go back to this computer, click sign-in, and it boots me back to the messanger log-in screen.

I've tried manually typing in my password and still no dice (I checked for caps lock too, hehe).

I uninstalled messanger and re-installed it, still no solution.

Anyrate, its a computer running XP, with a linksys router attaching it to the internet. I've had this setup for a few years now with NO problems so I'm sorta out of ideas.

Any ideas people? :x:

Thanks.

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

try rebooting?

3. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

Yup tried rebooting :hs:
    Then I tried shutting down the computer, then restarting the router. :hs:

The only thing I installed last night was ARES (p2p program) but I uninstalled that this morning because I figured it was the reason why messanger wasn't working.

4. maczter

5. maczter

6. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

If it makes any difference, I signed into messanger on my other comptuer, and then when I clicked sign in this one, it booted me back to the sign-in (as per usual). However, when I went to the other computer, a window had popped up saying "you have been signed into messanger on another computer".

So it IS signing me in, but instead of seeing my contact list, it just shows me the sign-in page/prompt.

I'm more confused now :dunno:

7. maczter

odd. got me. :dunno:

8. maczter

by the way, if you just use MSN for chat and not remote assistance or anything like that, i definitely recommend giving miranda a try. it works with AIM, Yahoo messenger, MSN and ICQ accounts (simultaneously) and is very easy on your machines resources.

9. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

I appreciate the link but http://www.miranda-im.org/ doesn't seem to work, I'll check again later.

I downloaded trillian and it seems to work fine, I can log onto my msn account and what not.

Just for kicks I logged in as "guest" on xp, opened up messenger. After typing in my login/password (they aren't automatically there like my main xp account it), messenger opened up fine and I could see my contact list.

Loggin back into my admin account, I tried opening up messanger, and the problem is still there :wtc:

10. maczter

odd.

the miranda site works fine for me and odd that you can log-in when using the guest account. perhaps the ARES app jacked with your messenger stuff.

btw, when you uninstalled an reinstalled, did you do that just for MSN Messenger or also with Windows Messenger?

MSN Messenger is basically add-ons for the Windows Messenger app. If you didn't uninstall and reinstall Windows Messenger, that could be the problem.