Can anyone help me pick a new mobo and ram?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Willey2cool, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

Im looking to upgrade my computer that i built two years ago. i was going to wait until april or so but one of my Ram sticks got fried today so i decided to do it sooner. i want to make the switch from my AMD to a new intel duel core but theres so many choices and all the reviews on newegg are of people overclocking their boards and the ram not working etc etc so ive become somewhat scared. Right now my comp sits at

Antec Case
    AMD +3200
    Chaintech mobo
    350w Antec PSU
    Nvidia 6600GT
    2x 512 Corsair DDRam400
    160gb IDE HD
    NEC CD-RW/DVD IDE
    Creative SB Fatal1ty Xtreme Gamer Pro SoundCard
    Wireless Card

I think im just going to sit on the 6600GT umtil the 8600s come out in a few months but i really need new Ram,mobo and CPU. Im going to go with the intel core 2 duo E6400 but i have no clue on a mobo or Ram. Im not going to overclock, i dont need Onboard sound or SLI. Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My computer is virtually identical to yours and it runs the latest games very well. Putting 2GB of RAM in your box will help it stay current, but I think what you need is a faster hard drive, if anything. Hard drives are millions of times slower than anything else in a computer (except DVD drives), so everything you can do to reduce that bottleneck will make your computer start much faster.

3. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

is a SATA HD really that much faster than a IDE one? i dont need any more space ive only used like 80gb of my 160gb

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Depends on which SATA hard drive you get. The big bonuses for switching to SATA is that the cable can carry incoming data and outgoing data at the same time, which IDE can't do, and SATA-2 drives can rearrange the list of files that need to be fetched and delivered so they can do their job more efficiently. Those two features are worth some extra speed, and if you're willing to put up with extra noise, you can get a Raptor hard drive from Western Digital that has much faster motors that reduce the time it takes for the magnetic readers to find the data they've been told to get.

I have three of them in my computer, connected in a RAID setup that makes it even faster -- and safer too, because if one of the drives fails I can just replace it and the other two drives will rebuild all the data that got lost when the one drive died.

When I did this, my PCMark hard drive score went from 3200 to 5700. I definitely notice the boost.