Can anyone help me get a cbr to the US?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by thecontinental, Mar 31, 2004.

1. My friend is selling me his cbr 250rr from Japan. I've searched the internet and even called registered importers. A lot of places just don't import motorcycles anymore. If anyone can help, even the least bit would be cool!

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

You'd never get it registered in the US.

3. it's been done before. i'm just looking for someone that's maybe tried or has any information; even as to why it's hard to get registered.

I can get it shipped here. But i have no idea about getting it through customs and all the paperwork.

Thanks.

4. solo

solo up and down

I have seen a copple import car importers that sell JDM bikes. Since all those fools get the aprilia 250 here there has got to be a way.

5. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

One person I know who has a pair of JDM 2-strokes had them shipped to Canada, then driven across the border in the back of a truck.
    AFAIK, there's no legal way to register them for the street even if you do get them here. Whenever I ask someone who has registered a grey market bike, it's always "I know this guy at the DMV". Another person said she got an off-road green sticker for her rc45, then somehow was able to use the green sticker to get an on-road registration.

The bigger question is why do you want to buy his 250 when there are tons of other comperable bikes already in the US, which can be bought for less than it would cost to buy the CBR, ship it, and pay all the taxes and customs fees.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  6. i heard about driving it in from Canada. there's this guy on ebay selling nsr 250's, and he's in canada. but the shop he works for has a history of selling bikes and customers not receiving them...

7. I'm not really paying much for the bike so i hope it evens out. What other bikes are you comparing to the cbr250?

8. Iain

Iain New Member

The cbr250 is a 4stroke rather than a 2stroke like the rs250. I wouldn't have imagined that the cbr would be that hard to import as emmissions wont be a problem. But i dont know how your laws work.

9. Thanks to everyone for the info.
    I got it last week actually. It was imported years ago. And it's very hard to do legally now. A friend of mine in New York it doing it "legally" and it has failed quite a few epa tests.