Can anyone give advice on applying touch up paint?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Gixxer, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Gixxer

Gixxer OT Supporter

I have several rock chips on my 330ci and when I used the dealer touch up paint it looks horrible. The color is way off.

Any ideas on how to fix, besides a respray?

2. the_moose914

the_moose914 Bimmer Crew

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

WA detailer crew czeching in.

Got any pics of it by chance?

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

If the dealer supplied touch up is correct, according to either your VIN or paint code and still doesn't match- we can assume it's metallic, pearl, or a mild variation (2-3 different hues per color code is normal).

If the color is off- I'd suggest going to a body shop and trying to get the correct variation. At sometimes $30+ from the dealer it's still a viable alternative to have it mixed by hand/machine. These are usually noted as A/B/C and reference more blue/less yel/whatever.

If it's pearl- good luck. I still haven't been able to properly touch up a 3stage finish by brush. Even with the mid coat/top coats being applied separately. The mid/base coat is a solid color and it's the application of top/pearl coat that is affecting the final appearance.

If it's metallic- good luck as well. The quantitty (lol) of metals applied from a brush/pen will vary greatly compared to a completely mixed and reduced spray coat. And even after that, the orientation or 'flop' of the shards will change how it reflects the light.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If your touch-up paint comes with separate bottles of color and clearcoat, like mine did, don't use the clearcoat; it never, ever dries properly, and it turns hazy in no time flat.

6. amm0bob

amm0bob New Member

7. qwerty2029

qwerty2029 New Member

if you go to an auto body paint store they sell disposable touch up sticks. Can't really call them brushes because you dab with them. They work really well.

About the paint not matching, if it is the original color of your car then your car paint might have faded. I would buff the area with a buffer that can do at least 2700 rpms with some heavy duty buffing compound. makes pinks into reds again