Can anyone answer this for me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accido, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

I'm lost and no one here replied to my last thread, so here we go again. My switch has no uplink port and neither do any of the routers I need to buy. How do I connect them together or to other networks? the router says:
    "All Ethernet ports auto-sense cable types to accommodate straight-through or cross-over cable."

I need lots of info before I make a purchase and both dlink and linksys customer support couldn't answer the question. They told me I need to uplink to my switch, but it doesn't have an uplink port. Do I need to physically make a crossover?

2. Accido

Accido New Member

3. whiteghetto

whiteghetto Timbers Army!!!

make and model info would help.
    any kind of router will have somekind of uplink. it has to connect to something

some switches may not.

4. Accido

Accido New Member

It's a D-link di804HV. It does not have an uplink port though and neither does my switch. :sad2:

5. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this takes care of it. You should be able to connect the them together as long as one port per connection (of connecting two switches) has an uplink/autosense.

6. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

uplink ports and crossover cables function the same, but if both are used at once, it acts like a normal port

7. Accido

Accido New Member

Yeah. It just doesn't make sense to me. But then again I haven't been keeping up with router/switch technology like most people should. Maybe we don't need special uplink ports or cables anymore. If both the router and switch do not have an uplink port but they're auto sensing, do I just connect them together on normal LAN ports? :ugh: it just doesn't sound right, but who knows. I'd rather find out for *sure* before I buy.

8. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

Well what switch are we talking about? Most switches are autosensing and will take care of the connection automatically. If not, a crossover cable will work.

9. Accido

Accido New Member

Some linksys 5 port switch thingy I bought a few yeas back. couldn't find the exact model on the website. So there is a technology that auto senses and configures normal ports to become uplink ports if needed? those are some smart ass switches if that's true :bigthumb:

10. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Yes most modern mid-ranged switches will have autosensing ports for both cable type and speed... No worries, just plug in a straight through cable from a LAN port on the router to any port on the switch (Assuming you have one of these - 'a few yeas back' it was rare to see autosensing ports???)

The linksys should have the model number right on it and Linksys.com will tell you if it does have autosensing.

11. Accido

Accido New Member

I have no idea. the website says version 2 or something, and nothing about older models. :-\ guess there really is only one way to find out. I'll just have to buy another switch as well if it doesn't work. No way I'm going to make another connection to the other end of my house *again* just for a crossover. I had to crawl throught the attic and everything. :-\