SRS Can anybody explain my up and down mood swings?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Changed, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

I just realized that this forum is here, so I figured I'd take advantage of it. Anyway, I wanted to see if anybody could help me out. I am a relatively quiet person. I'm intelligent, athletic, etc etc... However, it seems I can always count on being in a bad mood after being happy earlier in the day. At this point, I pretty much tell myself when I'm happy that it's not going to last and that soon enough I'll be in a shitty mood/depressed. It's the worst during the week, when I have to go to work and class. The weekend is a big high then I can count on looking at the schedule and seeing 13 hours of class and 20 hours of work. Or if I hang out w/ a girl or some friends, I can count on the fact that when they leave or I am alone for a while I'll get depressed.

Any help? :hsd:

2. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Maybe you're a manic depressive. See el shrink?

3. johan

johan Active Member

bipolar.

If you're in college, then wander down to Student Health Services and see the attending there, for starters.

4. Changed

Changed Guest

Another thing is I live in NY... specifically the most overcast part of the COUNTRY... :hs:

I have thought about going to see a psychologist before... but I dont really know what I'm going to say to them...? And I dont want to take meds and turn into a fucking zombie.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

bipolar disorder anyone?

google it and see for yourself

most overcast part of the country? where are you, rochester?

NYC is pretty sunny...

honestly, feel free to PM me if you have any concerns or questions, i have bipolar disorder myself...

6. Changed

Changed Guest

Im in upstate (south/western NY)

I'll google it when I get back from class and work all day :greddy:

7. Nyx05

Nyx05 Guest

Agreed, sounds bipolar with quick cycles. I have it too. See someone, it'll help. I promise.

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Me too...

9. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

I think some meds actually make you more outgoing. But that's personal experience with people I know :ugh:

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your Happyness depends on the situation you are in, i bet that during a midweek holliday you wouldn't feel stressed at all, i think school and work are pulling you down, which is pretty normal as these events are demanding energy uptakers making you feel bad and putting pressure on you. Just get enough sleep, and time for yourself as a coping resource to balance things out.

11. Changed

Changed Guest

I really dont think getting enough sleep is gonna stop these up and down mood swings :hs:

I really dont want to take meds. Im not addicted to anything, and I dont want to start now. Is talking to a psychiatrist expensive or does health insurance cover it? Also, can just talking about shit actually help me feel better?

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

It's definetly not bipolar and that's for sure. To be bipolar, you have to have phases that last quite a long time, let's say a couple of weeks of depression then a couple of weeks of mania. He would have known had he been in a maniac phase because he'd be doing incredible stuff and people would tell that's he's different. So don't worry, I don't think you have anything serious, you might lack sleep and be a little bit too anxious but whatever it is, it's not as serious as anyone here seems to make it seem.

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

:wtf:
    Bipolar with quick cycles is around 4 phases a year (depression, mania, depression, mania). I don't know what the disorder is called in English but in French we use the same book as the shrinks and if he has symptoms of depression AND mania at the same time, it's not called bipolar. It would roughly translate as a "mixt" episode.

Anyway, as long as it doesn't interfere with his life, it's not as serious as you guys make it sound. So don't feel too akward or anything, you might not feel well but it will be easier to fight than bipolar disorder.

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

15. Changed

Changed Guest

So how do I "fight" it :hsugh:

16. Changed

Changed Guest

Criteria for Major Depressive Episode (DSM-IV, p. 327)

A. Five (or more) of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the symptoms is either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure.

Note: Do not include symptoms that are clearly due to a general medical condition, or mood-incongruent delusions or hallucinations.

1. depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g. appears tearful). Note: In children and adolescents, can be irritable mood.
    2. markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day (as indicated by either subjective account or observation made by others)
    3. significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (e.g., a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month), or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day. Note: In children, consider failure to make expected weight gains.
    4. insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day
    5. psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down)
    6. fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day
    7. feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt (which may be delusional) nearly every day (not merely self-reproach or guilt about being sick)
    8. diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day (either by subjective account or as observed by others)
    9. recurrent thoughts of death (not just fear of dying), recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide
    this pretty much seems like me, except I dont think about suicide at all. I have gained some weight also, but that is expected when moving out for the first time and also attending college. Usually I could sit down and read a hundred pages in a book, but recently I can barely stand reading more than a page. I am always indecisive. I am tired during the days, and it usually takes me 2 or 3 hours to fall asleep at night...

17. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I'm not sure what really is your problem because we don't have enough information. I'm not a shrink either (yet..) so that's not helping... I can have a lot of causes, physical or psychological. Is it seasonal, since when have you been feeling this way, do you feel down mostly in certain situations, etc. Judging from what you're saying, your problem is definetly not severe but it also means that it might be a little bit harder to see what it is. A professionnal should be able to pin point your problem in a short time, like 2 sessions or something and you could decide what to do after you get a little more information on what you have (or don't have).

18. Changed

Changed Guest

does health insurance cover trips to a psychiatrist?

19. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

If you still get up in the morning and have the willpower to go to school, then I guess it's not depression. Depression is terrible and it could also be mistaken for some other thing (dysthimia, seasonal depression or adaptation disorder with depressive mood, etc). Instead of thinking you got something serious, see a psychologist, especially if you're in college and if it's accessible. Maybe knowing what you have or get a neutral opinion on how you feel might help you to make some progress.

20. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I'm not sure, I don't live in the US, but to see a psychiatrist I'd think so because their doctors. Seeing a psychologist might be easier though because they're less busy and they are more talk-therapy oriented (psychiatrists usually give meds). Psychologist might also be covered too. The APA website might help you more than me.

21. Changed

Changed Guest

My mother is apsychologist, but I dont really want to talk to her about it :o

22. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well, you seem to go to school. Go see to a school psychologist :)

23. Changed

Changed Guest

idk about you guys, but my college doesnt have a psychologist working for it.

24. Changed

Changed Guest

I was just trying to emphasize that I am a normal kid

25. svetlanalemon

svetlanalemon A little blood and vomit on the car seat...

it might not be bipolar disorder, you've only supplied a very small, vague amount of information ( although a very large part of what you're probably trying to explain ) . I say you see a therapist, one that won't immediately hand you meds, but will be willing to understand your past, and etc... psychotherapy sounds like it would also be good.

anyway, good luck with whatever that is.... also, if you're taking a large amount of caffeine, cease immediately. Large caffeine consumption induces a large rush of adrenaline in your body, so it can trigger these "mood swings" in a way, because one time you feel "jolted" and the "come down" off of the caffeine makes you feel sluggish and moody.

Try a variety of things. Most of all, make sure you don't get tossed around by a psychiatrist like a dead fish. Get a few numbers of a few therapists, be they psychotherapists, cognitive behavioral, etc..... don't intend on staying with the first one you immediately meet, because they might not understand you, or what not......

:)