A&P Can any photo type OT'ers recommend a good all in 1 printer/scanner

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Hillside Strangler, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Hillside Strangler

Hillside Strangler The first one's free. The next one goes in your m

I want to digitize my old photos and I don't wanna buy a $100 printer that takes $80 ink cartridges.

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

3. Hillside Strangler

Thanks bro I'll check it out

4. Hillside Strangler

Wow it gets killer reviews and it's under $200 bucks!

5. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

If you're going to be making lots of prints, I'd look into uploading to snapfish or someone.

That being said I recently got my mom a Canon all in one and it's really nice.

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Canon, HP, and Epson would be able the only brands I'd consider even for home use. Not true for all models, but Canon and HP share designs and parts on a lot of them.

Really though I'd just have any walmart or other place print them on a laser engine. It will cost much more to print them at home and if you don't print often your ink cartridges will get plugged up easily (fixing them is my day job.)

7. Hillside Strangler

Welp my problem is that I can't get broadband internets at home so I just wanna digitize my old fashioned paper photos onto a usb flash drive so I can upload them while I'm at work (road runner)

8. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Then any of the HP photosmart all in ones will digitize your photos. I got an all in one unit for like $80. HP/canon uses basically the same scanner hardware in all models. They haven't bothered to improve the scanning ability much over the last 5 years and the only differences will be little things like cache, RAM and stuff that won't really matter much unless you need an automatic document feeder and want to scan thousands of prints faster than laying them down one or two at a time.

9. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

any HP, Epson, or Canon should do fine. I'd recommend a wireless network printer unless you only have one computer and you're going to put it right on your computer desk.

The one downside with HP network printers (and probably the others, though I haven't used this on those), is that you might not be able to do anything BUT print over the network without installing craptastic HP software.

10. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

My dad's HP all-in-one wireless printer does this.. lets you scan pictures and save them directly to an attached USB drive. It automatically picks the size, etc for best quality, and it's a very simple procedure.

11. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Thats a possibility, I haven't tried that feature on any yet.

12. Hillside Strangler

Isn't it true that the cheaper the printer the more expensive the ink cartridges?

I'd rather pay $180 for a good unit if it takes cheaper cartridges, I would think that would be more cost effective in the long run.

13. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I've not looked into that possibility yet. I gave up on ink because it takes way to much of it to print photos and the printer never even pays for itself and supplies unless I were to print hundreds at a time. I'd end up throwing away clogged cartridges and having to do full cleaning on the printer way to often.

I only wish consumer grade lasers were a little higher resolution. I work on primarily HP, Okidata, and Ricoh lasers and HP is the highest quality of that lot and still not lab quality, but the larger toners can last into the 10,000+ full page prints.